Apr 23, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
Earlier tonight we reported to you that Ian Laperriere left tonight’s Flyers-Devils Game 5 after blocking a shot with his face. The puck hit him in the eyebrow and it was reported that he had to get between 60 and 70 stitches to close up the gash.
To call Ian Laperriere a tough guy is an understatement, but in post game interviews he did say that he’ll make a change to his equipment the rest of the way.
“I will wear a shield now,” he said. “That was my last warning. I will wear one for the rest of my career. I am dead serious.
“It’s stupid. I’m mad at myself and not the shooter. It’s a position you don’t want to be in. It’s too bad I needed that to make me realize that I need to wear a shield.”
To say these are serious and somber-like words from a player who’s been nothing but blood and guts his whole career is understating things wildly. Then again, it sometimes takes something terrible and shocking to get a player to make a drastic personal change like this. Back in 2005, Steve Yzerman made a similar change after suffering a scratched cornea from being hit in the eye with a puck during the playoffs.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)