Apr 23, 2010, 3:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello is generally considered the best GM in the business.
He’s created a franchise that has been insanely successful, built on
great defense and goaltending and one that has remained competitive year
Yet after three straight incredibly disappointing
first round exits, especially this year after losing in five games to
the Philadelphia Flyers, there are thoughts that big changes should be
made. Perhaps the NHL and the game of hockey have passed up the Devils
and the system that was used to win Stanley Cups in two of four years is
no longer successful in the playoffs.
To me, it seemed that the
Devils had the coaching and the skill to be successful this postseason,
this was just a team that was directionless and full of players that
just weren’t motivated to play as hard as the team they were facing. Is
that the coach’s fault? Is Jacques Lemaire to blame for this failure,
after the Devils had been building under Brent Sutter? Should the Devils
just blow it up, trade Brodeur and move forward?
Today, in a conference call with the media, Lamoriello says that
he’s happy with the goaltending and that we should expect Lemaire back
in New Jersey next season. Rich Chere of The Star Ledger has the
“I am certainly happy with the job
Jacques has done. And I’m not unhappy
with the effort put in. We just didn’t get thinsg done the way it had
to be done. You can go over each and every game and look at the turning
points. What was positive and what was negtaive. I’m looking at myself
right now. I’m nit even thinking about anything else. I’m evaluating
myself the best way I can of what potentially might have been able to be
He says the Devils will work hard to extend
Ilya Kovalchuk, and that he’s happy with Jamie Langenbrunner as captain.
He also said multiple times that Lemaire will be back, and that he
won’t blame the Olympics for the struggles of the Devils.
So the big blow up that some think is needed? Sounds like that won’t
happen anytime soon.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)