Apr 23, 2010, 2:15 PM EDT
I’ve seen a hockey game in Montreal, and it was the most electrifying
sports experience I’ve been a part of. It was a Thursday night regular
season game against the Dallas Stars, and it was the loudest sporting
event I’ve ever been to. Louder than NFL, college football, you name it
the Bell Centre was much louder.
Brooks Laich says he’ll stick
with the Verizon Center as the best home crowd in the NHL. Per
Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Blog:
“It’s good,” he
said of the Bell Centre crowd. “It’s tremendous.
Personally, I think our building is right up there with any building in
the league, but it would be comparable to a Montreal or a Chicago. I
think those are maybe the three best, loudest buildings in the league.
But it’s a fun place to pay. I still like our fans and our building, but
this one’s right up there as well.”
to some Habs players and – no surprise – they will stick with their own
crowd as the best in the NHL.
Perhaps it’s because the first two
games of the series were so bad for the Capitals, up until the final 24
minutes of Game 2, that the Verizon Center sounded a bit duller than
normal. Contrast that to the Bell Centre; I had to adjust the setting on
my subwoofer at home because the crowd noise was rattling the floor
boards. No joke.
Caps fans will have a great chance tonight to
prove that they are in fact the loudest in the NHL. But best fans in the
NHL? Lets wait until the Capitals have over 50 years of history in
Washington to start that comparison.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)