Apr 23, 2010, 9:18 PM EDT
While I don’t consider myself an insane patriot by any means, I appreciate gestures made in the name of one’s own country. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that people can go far … way, way too far. Check out this strange story from the Associated Press, detailing some Canadian tomfoolery.
Authorities say two native Canadians will be charged with burying a U.S. flag flown in the California desert to honor 9/11 victims and replacing it with Canada’s flag to celebrate an Olympic hockey victory.
Riverside County district attorney’s spokesman John Hall said Friday that 25-year-old Ryan Smith of Bermuda Dunes and 26-year-old Matt Seifert of Palm Desert will be charged with misdemeanor vandalism and flag desecration.
Whether you consider the flag an important symbol or not, my general rule is to be safe rather than sorry. Doing something like this is about as tasteful as marring a Nativity scene on Christmas. What’s the point?
The two guilty parties are in their mid-20s so it’s not like you can give them too much rope for being young dumb kids. I mean, sure, I was guilty of the occasional moment of rapscallion behavior in high school, but messing with a 9/11 memorial? Not cool, Canadians dudes. Not cool.
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 4
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 24
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 17
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 60
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (60)