Apr 23, 2010, 9:18 PM EDT
While I don’t consider myself an insane patriot by any means, I appreciate gestures made in the name of one’s own country. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that people can go far … way, way too far. Check out this strange story from the Associated Press, detailing some Canadian tomfoolery.
Authorities say two native Canadians will be charged with burying a U.S. flag flown in the California desert to honor 9/11 victims and replacing it with Canada’s flag to celebrate an Olympic hockey victory.
Riverside County district attorney’s spokesman John Hall said Friday that 25-year-old Ryan Smith of Bermuda Dunes and 26-year-old Matt Seifert of Palm Desert will be charged with misdemeanor vandalism and flag desecration.
Whether you consider the flag an important symbol or not, my general rule is to be safe rather than sorry. Doing something like this is about as tasteful as marring a Nativity scene on Christmas. What’s the point?
The two guilty parties are in their mid-20s so it’s not like you can give them too much rope for being young dumb kids. I mean, sure, I was guilty of the occasional moment of rapscallion behavior in high school, but messing with a 9/11 memorial? Not cool, Canadians dudes. Not cool.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 2
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)