Apr 23, 2010, 9:18 PM EDT
While I don’t consider myself an insane patriot by any means, I appreciate gestures made in the name of one’s own country. Still, that doesn’t change the fact that people can go far … way, way too far. Check out this strange story from the Associated Press, detailing some Canadian tomfoolery.
Authorities say two native Canadians will be charged with burying a U.S. flag flown in the California desert to honor 9/11 victims and replacing it with Canada’s flag to celebrate an Olympic hockey victory.
Riverside County district attorney’s spokesman John Hall said Friday that 25-year-old Ryan Smith of Bermuda Dunes and 26-year-old Matt Seifert of Palm Desert will be charged with misdemeanor vandalism and flag desecration.
Whether you consider the flag an important symbol or not, my general rule is to be safe rather than sorry. Doing something like this is about as tasteful as marring a Nativity scene on Christmas. What’s the point?
The two guilty parties are in their mid-20s so it’s not like you can give them too much rope for being young dumb kids. I mean, sure, I was guilty of the occasional moment of rapscallion behavior in high school, but messing with a 9/11 memorial? Not cool, Canadians dudes. Not cool.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)