Apr 22, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT
I’ve always had an odd “relationship” with Henrik and Daniel Sedin (there was a point, by the way, when some might have placed Daniel’s name first and – you never know – that day might come again). I mean, seriously, I named a blog after the twins and I’m not even a Vancouver Canucks fan. (If you’re curious about that odd back story or just want to confirm my oddness, click here.)
At the time that I decided to name the blog after them, the Sedin twins were still mostly a mystery to me. I alternately pegged them as first-line talents with minor league hearts or second-line talents with Lance Armstrong work ethics. Either way, I loved watching their hive-minded cycling and admired the way they could transform the Anson Carters of the world into productive hockey players. Yet despite flashes of brilliance, I’d be a liar if I claimed to see their dramatic development into genuine stars coming.
Make no mistake about it, too, they’ve clearly jumped a level from “unclear stars” to “slap-you-in-the-face elite.” It’s almost as if a pair of aliens are guilty of some body snatching with these guys. The goals they’re scoring aren’t just pretty, they’re demonstrative. I always assumed they were mostly passive players who could move the puck in stunning unison but now they’re scoring in-your-face type goals. Sure, the twins will probably always take the brunt of beatings (last night I compared Henrik to a “pinata”), but is there any doubt that these guys are among the game’s very best?
Where did these guys come from, though? (Note: this is a rhetorical question regarding how they’ve improved so drastically. I’m aware they shared a womb in Sweden.) What, exactly, made them explode after they signed their big contracts since … you know, it never happens that way? Is it that the team finally handed them (and Roberto Luongo) the keys after finally moving past the Bertuzzi-Nasund Era and the failed Mats Sundin Era?
I named a blog after them, yet even I underestimated the mystical hockey talents (and strangeness) that is the Sedin twins. Is anyone else a little stunned at just how good those Swedish clones really are?
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 4
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 32
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 40
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 157
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 7
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 16
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 5
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (160)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)