Apr 22, 2010, 12:06 AM EDT
Earlier tonight we reported to you that Ian Laperriere left tonight’s Flyers-Devils Game 5 after blocking a shot with his face. The puck hit him in the eyebrow and it was reported that he had to get between 60 and 70 stitches to close up the gash.
To call Ian Laperriere a tough guy is an understatement, but in post game interviews he did say that he’ll make a change to his equipment the rest of the way.
“I will wear a shield now,” he said. “That was my last warning. I will wear one for the rest of my career. I am dead serious.
“It’s stupid. I’m mad at myself and not the shooter. It’s a position you don’t want to be in. It’s too bad I needed that to make me realize that I need to wear a shield.”
To say these are serious and somber-like words from a player who’s been nothing but blood and guts his whole career is understating things wildly. Then again, it sometimes takes something terrible and shocking to get a player to make a drastic personal change like this. Back in 2005, Steve Yzerman made a similar change after suffering a scratched cornea from being hit in the eye with a puck during the playoffs.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 9
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 9
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)