Apr 22, 2010, 12:06 AM EDT
Earlier tonight we reported to you that Ian Laperriere left tonight’s Flyers-Devils Game 5 after blocking a shot with his face. The puck hit him in the eyebrow and it was reported that he had to get between 60 and 70 stitches to close up the gash.
To call Ian Laperriere a tough guy is an understatement, but in post game interviews he did say that he’ll make a change to his equipment the rest of the way.
“I will wear a shield now,” he said. “That was my last warning. I will wear one for the rest of my career. I am dead serious.
“It’s stupid. I’m mad at myself and not the shooter. It’s a position you don’t want to be in. It’s too bad I needed that to make me realize that I need to wear a shield.”
To say these are serious and somber-like words from a player who’s been nothing but blood and guts his whole career is understating things wildly. Then again, it sometimes takes something terrible and shocking to get a player to make a drastic personal change like this. Back in 2005, Steve Yzerman made a similar change after suffering a scratched cornea from being hit in the eye with a puck during the playoffs.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)