Apr 22, 2010, 10:27 PM EDT
Ian Laperriere of the Philadelphia Flyers proved again tonight that hockey is not for the faint of heart. In the third period of the Flyers 3-0 series-clinching victory over the New Jersey Devils, Ian Laperriere laid down to block a Paul Martin shot from the point and did so. With his face.
Laperriere hopped up holding his face with a trail of blood behind him and headed immediately to the locker room. According to Frank Seravalli of the Philadelphia Daily News, Laperriere had this to say about what happened after the game.
“I was asking Jimmy [McCrossin, the trainer] if my eye was still there. I couldn’t see out of it.”
If that doesn’t tell you how scary the incident was, perhaps this can help put things in perspective for you what it means to be a hockey player.
“I want to see my children grow up with both eyes.”
As Servalli reported there, Laperriere received numerous stitches but did not break his nose on the play. Perhaps now Laperriere will add a face shield to his repertoire.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)