Apr 22, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Dave Lozo of
NHL.com has a lengthy interview with NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman
up, in which he speaks on ‘conspiracies’ that have invaded the talk
around hockey and about a possible Winter Classic in Los Angeles.
“It was determined it was kicked in,” Bettman said of the
ruling. When asked about the seven-minute review, he added, “When they
do video replay, they want to make sure they get it right. It should
take as long as it takes them to get it right. I’d rather that than say
you’ve got a minute and 30 seconds and get it wrong.
something straight — I have complete confidence in the integrity and
professionalism and judgment of my hockey operations department. Period.
think this whole tact of innuendo and insinuation is both insulting and
Bettman praises the Kings franchise
and ownership, which I’m certain will only add to the notion that the
NHL wants the Kings to succeed, but he’s not pulling these complements
out of nowhere. The Kings are a hockey team that is working in Los
Angeles, they’ll have the draft there next summer and it’s a testament
to how with good ownership, leadership and a winning product the sport
can work anywhere.
While he’s certainly gushing in his praise of
the Kings, he wasn’t so keen on the prospect of a Winter Classic being
held in LA.
Could you put out a sheet of ice and make
ice? The answer’s probably yes
— but would it be satisfactory for a competitive game, one that counts
in the standings? I mean, we take two teams and put them outdoors but
the points in that game matter. And when you look at the way our regular
season ended, we have to make sure all of our games are played under as
close to ideal conditions as possible.
legitimate question and no matter how much air conditioning the outdoor
rink may have underneath, the sun and the warm air are likely to play
hell with the ice surface. Still, how great would it be to see the Kings
take on an East coast team with a backdrop of the Pacific ocean, palm
trees and thong-clad ladies on roller blades? Doesn’t exactly scream
‘traditional pond hockey’ to me, but neither did singing Sweet
Caroline at Fenway. So anything is possible.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)