Apr 22, 2010, 9:48 PM EDT
In a series that was overwrought with questionable, often overburdening, officiating to both teams, the Philadelphia Flyers finished off the New Jersey Devils in five games, defeating them tonight 3-0. For Brian Boucher it was his second career shutout and his first in ten seasons, last doing it against the Buffalo Sabres in 2000.
The script was written early for the Devils as Daniel Briere scored on the power play in the first period and Boucher did the rest of the work stonewalling the Devils offense to the tune of 28 saves. Claude Giroux sealed the game up in the second period with two goals, one on the power play, and continuing his breakout in the playoffs, one that saw the Flyers playing without Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne for parts of the series.
As for the Devils, if general manager Lou Lamoriello thought he had something to throw jelly jars over before, he’s really got something to be furious about as the Devils were a mostly lifeless team throughout the series and seemed to fold up the tents the moment Briere scored in the first period. Now the team will have a lot to wonder about regarding trade deadline acquisition Ilya Kovalchuk. Kovalchuk was brought in to help secure a deep playoff run for the Devils and boost the offense and instead, the team seemed to lack chemistry and Kovalchuk’s big offensive punch was missing. Let the second guessing begin in New Jersey, just clear the press room of the Welch’s grape jelly, that stuff stains something terrible.
Barring a Montreal Canadiens comeback, the Flyers will face the highest remaining seed in the Eastern Conference in the conference semifinals. Should the series project out the way they look now, that would set the Flyers up to face the Washington Capitals next. As always, anything can still happen so don’t start booking tickets yet Flyers fans.
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 28
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 4
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 45
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 81
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (112)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1