Alex Ovechkin/kid video: An amusing accident, that's all

Apr 22, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT

For the most part, I’m amused by the creativity of conspiracy theories and the surprising sensitivity fan bases exhibit, especially considering the often barbaric violence featured in this sport. That being said, there are moments when the persecution complex rears its tedious, ugly head.

Last night, Brandon posted the video of Alex Ovechkin accidentally giving the poor little Montreal Canadiens kid an ice spray. Naturally, Capitals fans vented their anger at him on Twitter (a common pastime on the popular social network) for broaching the subject … or maybe they were angry about his original headline? Look, maybe there is indeed a Worldwide Conspiracy against the Capitals and all of their supporters, yet it seems more likely that there are certain fans who foster a warped David vs. Goliath fetish.

Regardless of how “important” people may find the story, it is becoming a subject of some debate and therefore is worthy of discussion (even if our main point ends up being that it is clearly overblown). Dave Stubbs of Habs Inside/Out explains away the scenario.

Other players need the fast laps to get pumped. But Ovechkin does this. Game 3, he came so hard that his stop nearly sliced the stray cable of the cameraman kneeling on the ice to shoot the Habs coming onto the rink. He’ll do the same for Game 6, if there is one and if he’s not in the starting six.

The good news is, this flag-waving kid will live forever on YouTube. Too bad for him the snow from Ovechkin’s skates melted on his socks, or he could have sold them for a pile of dough on eBay.

But imagine if Ovie had slipped. They’d still be taking the kid off the boards with a spatula.

Stubbs takes the correct approach with this video. It’s obviously a bizarre mistake/accident/gaffe/noun that won’t upset Capitals fans, but can’t the Internet have fun with odd moment? Maybe there are people admonishing Ovechkin for showering a Montreal youth with one of hockey’s greatest signs of “disrespect” but I think the majority of us are either laughing or yawning.

Rub some dirt on it and calm down, fans of every team. I assure you if any other player sprayed a kid like that, it would be worth a look. No one’s out to get your team, we’re all just floating in the universe with little reason, trying to make sense of this world while clicking on as many dumb Internet videos as we can during a workday. Is that so wrong? If it is, then I don’t want to be right.

1. aoneil - Apr 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM

Wouldn’t it have been great had the kid threw off his gloves and went after OV? I guess he would have only done that had OV sprayed the kid goalie.

2. Ross - Apr 22, 2010 at 2:07 PM

As has been said before…It was dark and he just saw a diminutive figure in a Habs jersey so he assumed it was one of the members of their scoring line so he thought he’d go in for a little gamesmanship.

3. Anonymous - Apr 22, 2010 at 4:53 PM

If the original title of Brandon’s post wasn’t designed to provoke (Video: Did Alex Ovechkin disrespect Habs kid?), then perhaps some more thought should be put into these things. It’s like writing a post titled “Are all soccer fans stupid?” and the first line of the post say, no, they aren’t.
    I think maybe you guys are at a crossroads here, and you should decide what you want to be. Does the “pro” in ProHockeyTalk mean you are talking about professional hockey, or that you are professionals talking about hockey, or better yet, both. Right now, it seems like you aren’t sure, and maybe it’s time to answer that question.
    One thing not to do is blame the audience for reacting in a way that wasn’t anticipated. I say that in a broad, all the time sense, but specifically here as well. After all the talk and stirring the pot about controversy and conspiracies that the media, fans, and yes, you guys, have done, leading off with a headline asking if a star player is being disrespectful towards a kid is going to get a mixed, if not massively negative, reaction. You guys asked the question, you got an answer.

4. Tapeleg - Apr 22, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Crap. I left that as anonymous, which I didn’t mean to. I take full responsibility for the previous comment. I unintentially left my name out. Sorry.

5. Tapeleg - Apr 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Sorry, I left my name off that. Not my intention. This ‘anonymous’ comment was written by yours truly.

6. Anonymous - May 4, 2010 at 10:28 PM

i find the video hard to swallow and im a caps fan

Top 10 NHL Player Searches