Apr 22, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Keeping you updated on tonight’s desperation Game 5 action, it wouldn’t be the playoffs without a little more goal controversy, right? That’s just what we’ve got in Pittsburgh as the Pens Chris Kunitz’s shot at 18:34 that went past goaltender Pascal Leclaire was initially ruled to not be a goal because the net had come off the moorings. The officials went to the video replay to get a definitive view of things and see if there was something they missed and Toronto seemed to think there was as they ruled that it was a goal. The on-ice official said that the net stayed on the moorings and the puck crossed the line to make it a good goal. Kunitz’s goal tied the game at 2-2.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the ruling goes like this:
NHL ruling on Pens: While net was lifted up, it was still deemed to be in proper position (per Rule 78.4) when puck crossed goal line.
Seems pretty clear to me. For the Sens, this is foreboding as they appeared set to go into intermission with a 2-1 lead and instead are positioned to fight for another goal when they look tired.
Speaking of teams that are in trouble, the New Jersey Devils are down 3-0 after two periods on the back of two Claude Giroux goals. The Devils’ offense has had a tough go of it in this series and tonight Flyers goalie Brian Boucher is doing his part to make it a lot more difficult standing on his head through two periods and stopping all 18 shots he’s faced.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (60)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (46)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)