Apr 22, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Keeping you updated on tonight’s desperation Game 5 action, it wouldn’t be the playoffs without a little more goal controversy, right? That’s just what we’ve got in Pittsburgh as the Pens Chris Kunitz’s shot at 18:34 that went past goaltender Pascal Leclaire was initially ruled to not be a goal because the net had come off the moorings. The officials went to the video replay to get a definitive view of things and see if there was something they missed and Toronto seemed to think there was as they ruled that it was a goal. The on-ice official said that the net stayed on the moorings and the puck crossed the line to make it a good goal. Kunitz’s goal tied the game at 2-2.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the ruling goes like this:
NHL ruling on Pens: While net was lifted up, it was still deemed to be in proper position (per Rule 78.4) when puck crossed goal line.
Seems pretty clear to me. For the Sens, this is foreboding as they appeared set to go into intermission with a 2-1 lead and instead are positioned to fight for another goal when they look tired.
Speaking of teams that are in trouble, the New Jersey Devils are down 3-0 after two periods on the back of two Claude Giroux goals. The Devils’ offense has had a tough go of it in this series and tonight Flyers goalie Brian Boucher is doing his part to make it a lot more difficult standing on his head through two periods and stopping all 18 shots he’s faced.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)