Apr 22, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Keeping you updated on tonight’s desperation Game 5 action, it wouldn’t be the playoffs without a little more goal controversy, right? That’s just what we’ve got in Pittsburgh as the Pens Chris Kunitz’s shot at 18:34 that went past goaltender Pascal Leclaire was initially ruled to not be a goal because the net had come off the moorings. The officials went to the video replay to get a definitive view of things and see if there was something they missed and Toronto seemed to think there was as they ruled that it was a goal. The on-ice official said that the net stayed on the moorings and the puck crossed the line to make it a good goal. Kunitz’s goal tied the game at 2-2.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the ruling goes like this:
NHL ruling on Pens: While net was lifted up, it was still deemed to be in proper position (per Rule 78.4) when puck crossed goal line.
Seems pretty clear to me. For the Sens, this is foreboding as they appeared set to go into intermission with a 2-1 lead and instead are positioned to fight for another goal when they look tired.
Speaking of teams that are in trouble, the New Jersey Devils are down 3-0 after two periods on the back of two Claude Giroux goals. The Devils’ offense has had a tough go of it in this series and tonight Flyers goalie Brian Boucher is doing his part to make it a lot more difficult standing on his head through two periods and stopping all 18 shots he’s faced.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)