Apr 22, 2010, 9:01 PM EDT
Keeping you updated on tonight’s desperation Game 5 action, it wouldn’t be the playoffs without a little more goal controversy, right? That’s just what we’ve got in Pittsburgh as the Pens Chris Kunitz’s shot at 18:34 that went past goaltender Pascal Leclaire was initially ruled to not be a goal because the net had come off the moorings. The officials went to the video replay to get a definitive view of things and see if there was something they missed and Toronto seemed to think there was as they ruled that it was a goal. The on-ice official said that the net stayed on the moorings and the puck crossed the line to make it a good goal. Kunitz’s goal tied the game at 2-2.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the ruling goes like this:
NHL ruling on Pens: While net was lifted up, it was still deemed to be in proper position (per Rule 78.4) when puck crossed goal line.
Seems pretty clear to me. For the Sens, this is foreboding as they appeared set to go into intermission with a 2-1 lead and instead are positioned to fight for another goal when they look tired.
Speaking of teams that are in trouble, the New Jersey Devils are down 3-0 after two periods on the back of two Claude Giroux goals. The Devils’ offense has had a tough go of it in this series and tonight Flyers goalie Brian Boucher is doing his part to make it a lot more difficult standing on his head through two periods and stopping all 18 shots he’s faced.
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 24
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 63
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 25
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 91
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 19
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 14
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (91)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)