Apr 22, 2010, 9:01 PM EST
Keeping you updated on tonight’s desperation Game 5 action, it wouldn’t be the playoffs without a little more goal controversy, right? That’s just what we’ve got in Pittsburgh as the Pens Chris Kunitz’s shot at 18:34 that went past goaltender Pascal Leclaire was initially ruled to not be a goal because the net had come off the moorings. The officials went to the video replay to get a definitive view of things and see if there was something they missed and Toronto seemed to think there was as they ruled that it was a goal. The on-ice official said that the net stayed on the moorings and the puck crossed the line to make it a good goal. Kunitz’s goal tied the game at 2-2.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the ruling goes like this:
NHL ruling on Pens: While net was lifted up, it was still deemed to be in proper position (per Rule 78.4) when puck crossed goal line.
Seems pretty clear to me. For the Sens, this is foreboding as they appeared set to go into intermission with a 2-1 lead and instead are positioned to fight for another goal when they look tired.
Speaking of teams that are in trouble, the New Jersey Devils are down 3-0 after two periods on the back of two Claude Giroux goals. The Devils’ offense has had a tough go of it in this series and tonight Flyers goalie Brian Boucher is doing his part to make it a lot more difficult standing on his head through two periods and stopping all 18 shots he’s faced.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)