Apr 22, 2010, 10:47 PM EDT
Ottawa and Pittsburgh weren’t content to have just one series in these playoffs see multiple overtimes so they decided to do it themselves tonight. One difference between the first overtime period these teams played and how a lot of overtime periods seem to go is that there were a handful of penalties called. Ottawa had two power play opportunities in the extra frame while Pittsburgh had one. The teams also had matching minors called against them later in the period.
Senators goalie Pascal Leclaire is doing his part to keep his team in the game, stopping 45 of 48 shots through 80 minutes of play. Marc-Andre Fleury has stopped 31 of 34 shots.
In Nashville, the Predators trail the Blackhawks 3-0 in the third period thanks to two goals by Patrick Sharp, one on the power play. Jonathan Toews scored his first goal of the playoffs in the second period.
In San Jose, the Sharks and Avalanche are about to drop the puck in their Game 5 match up. Dany Heatley has been moved down to the third line as he’s been bothered with a lower body injury that has slowed him down. Torrey Mitchell moves up to the first line to play along side Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 62
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 27
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15