Apr 22, 2010, 7:57 PM EDT
Both the Ottawa Senators and the New Jersey Devils enter their respective Game 5s tonight with their seasons on the line and how each team has come out may prove to be a sign of things to come tonight.
As has been usual in the Devils series with the Philadelphia Flyers, the officiating has been tight and we’ve already seen two minors called on each team through one period of play, but so far it’s been the Flyers on top thanks to a power play goal from Daniel Briere. For the Flyers, it was the perfect first period to come out with: tough, aggressive and unrelenting in the face of the Devils. The Devils will have to step up a bit if they want to keep playing past tonight.
In Pittsburgh, the Penguins are looking to finish off the Senators but so far the Senators have answered the bell. Buoyed by Pascal Leclaire in goal, the Sens jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on the backs of goals from Mike Fisher and Jarkko Ruutu. The Pens came back late in the first thanks to a goal from Kris Letang. For Ottawa, they’re going to have to stay out of the box to stay in this one. The Sens took three minors that period and Letang’s goal came on the power play. Pittsburgh may want to do the same as well as Fisher’s goal came on Ottawa’s lone opportunity on the man advantage.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)