Apr 22, 2010, 7:57 PM EDT
Both the Ottawa Senators and the New Jersey Devils enter their respective Game 5s tonight with their seasons on the line and how each team has come out may prove to be a sign of things to come tonight.
As has been usual in the Devils series with the Philadelphia Flyers, the officiating has been tight and we’ve already seen two minors called on each team through one period of play, but so far it’s been the Flyers on top thanks to a power play goal from Daniel Briere. For the Flyers, it was the perfect first period to come out with: tough, aggressive and unrelenting in the face of the Devils. The Devils will have to step up a bit if they want to keep playing past tonight.
In Pittsburgh, the Penguins are looking to finish off the Senators but so far the Senators have answered the bell. Buoyed by Pascal Leclaire in goal, the Sens jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on the backs of goals from Mike Fisher and Jarkko Ruutu. The Pens came back late in the first thanks to a goal from Kris Letang. For Ottawa, they’re going to have to stay out of the box to stay in this one. The Sens took three minors that period and Letang’s goal came on the power play. Pittsburgh may want to do the same as well as Fisher’s goal came on Ottawa’s lone opportunity on the man advantage.
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 7
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 15
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 25
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 9
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 39
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)