Apr 22, 2010, 7:57 PM EST
Both the Ottawa Senators and the New Jersey Devils enter their respective Game 5s tonight with their seasons on the line and how each team has come out may prove to be a sign of things to come tonight.
As has been usual in the Devils series with the Philadelphia Flyers, the officiating has been tight and we’ve already seen two minors called on each team through one period of play, but so far it’s been the Flyers on top thanks to a power play goal from Daniel Briere. For the Flyers, it was the perfect first period to come out with: tough, aggressive and unrelenting in the face of the Devils. The Devils will have to step up a bit if they want to keep playing past tonight.
In Pittsburgh, the Penguins are looking to finish off the Senators but so far the Senators have answered the bell. Buoyed by Pascal Leclaire in goal, the Sens jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on the backs of goals from Mike Fisher and Jarkko Ruutu. The Pens came back late in the first thanks to a goal from Kris Letang. For Ottawa, they’re going to have to stay out of the box to stay in this one. The Sens took three minors that period and Letang’s goal came on the power play. Pittsburgh may want to do the same as well as Fisher’s goal came on Ottawa’s lone opportunity on the man advantage.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)