Apr 22, 2010, 7:57 PM EDT
Both the Ottawa Senators and the New Jersey Devils enter their respective Game 5s tonight with their seasons on the line and how each team has come out may prove to be a sign of things to come tonight.
As has been usual in the Devils series with the Philadelphia Flyers, the officiating has been tight and we’ve already seen two minors called on each team through one period of play, but so far it’s been the Flyers on top thanks to a power play goal from Daniel Briere. For the Flyers, it was the perfect first period to come out with: tough, aggressive and unrelenting in the face of the Devils. The Devils will have to step up a bit if they want to keep playing past tonight.
In Pittsburgh, the Penguins are looking to finish off the Senators but so far the Senators have answered the bell. Buoyed by Pascal Leclaire in goal, the Sens jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead on the backs of goals from Mike Fisher and Jarkko Ruutu. The Pens came back late in the first thanks to a goal from Kris Letang. For Ottawa, they’re going to have to stay out of the box to stay in this one. The Sens took three minors that period and Letang’s goal came on the power play. Pittsburgh may want to do the same as well as Fisher’s goal came on Ottawa’s lone opportunity on the man advantage.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)