Apr 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
I already mentioned the fact that Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are suffering from foot injuries, but it turns out that the situations are severe enough that both will need surgery on Friday according to TSN.
Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter both suffered foot injuries in the contest, and both will have surgery on Friday.
According the Flyers, Gagne could return to action in three weeks, while Carter is out indefinitely.
“Indefinitely” is one of those vague injury descriptions that probably means “definitely not coming back in the playoffs” although I could be wrong. Either way, I’d imagine that the Flyers better get used to playing without two of their most dangerous forwards.
Ville Leino will likely take at least one of the spots at forward. The Flyers have a number of call-ups from the Phantoms that could also play, including Andreas Nodl and David Laliberte.
You never know, this could be the kind of bad break that can swing a series. At best, it makes the Flyers potential fodder in the second round … especially if it ends up being, say, the Washington Capitals. Either way, it’s a tough break for a Flyers team that has shown some mettle but also shot itself in the foot more than its fair share.
Are these the “breaks” that the Devils needed?
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 59
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (143)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)