Apr 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
I already mentioned the fact that Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are suffering from foot injuries, but it turns out that the situations are severe enough that both will need surgery on Friday according to TSN.
Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter both suffered foot injuries in the contest, and both will have surgery on Friday.
According the Flyers, Gagne could return to action in three weeks, while Carter is out indefinitely.
“Indefinitely” is one of those vague injury descriptions that probably means “definitely not coming back in the playoffs” although I could be wrong. Either way, I’d imagine that the Flyers better get used to playing without two of their most dangerous forwards.
Ville Leino will likely take at least one of the spots at forward. The Flyers have a number of call-ups from the Phantoms that could also play, including Andreas Nodl and David Laliberte.
You never know, this could be the kind of bad break that can swing a series. At best, it makes the Flyers potential fodder in the second round … especially if it ends up being, say, the Washington Capitals. Either way, it’s a tough break for a Flyers team that has shown some mettle but also shot itself in the foot more than its fair share.
Are these the “breaks” that the Devils needed?
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)