Apr 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
I already mentioned the fact that Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are suffering from foot injuries, but it turns out that the situations are severe enough that both will need surgery on Friday according to TSN.
Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter both suffered foot injuries in the contest, and both will have surgery on Friday.
According the Flyers, Gagne could return to action in three weeks, while Carter is out indefinitely.
“Indefinitely” is one of those vague injury descriptions that probably means “definitely not coming back in the playoffs” although I could be wrong. Either way, I’d imagine that the Flyers better get used to playing without two of their most dangerous forwards.
Ville Leino will likely take at least one of the spots at forward. The Flyers have a number of call-ups from the Phantoms that could also play, including Andreas Nodl and David Laliberte.
You never know, this could be the kind of bad break that can swing a series. At best, it makes the Flyers potential fodder in the second round … especially if it ends up being, say, the Washington Capitals. Either way, it’s a tough break for a Flyers team that has shown some mettle but also shot itself in the foot more than its fair share.
Are these the “breaks” that the Devils needed?
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11