Apr 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
I already mentioned the fact that Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are suffering from foot injuries, but it turns out that the situations are severe enough that both will need surgery on Friday according to TSN.
Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter both suffered foot injuries in the contest, and both will have surgery on Friday.
According the Flyers, Gagne could return to action in three weeks, while Carter is out indefinitely.
“Indefinitely” is one of those vague injury descriptions that probably means “definitely not coming back in the playoffs” although I could be wrong. Either way, I’d imagine that the Flyers better get used to playing without two of their most dangerous forwards.
Ville Leino will likely take at least one of the spots at forward. The Flyers have a number of call-ups from the Phantoms that could also play, including Andreas Nodl and David Laliberte.
You never know, this could be the kind of bad break that can swing a series. At best, it makes the Flyers potential fodder in the second round … especially if it ends up being, say, the Washington Capitals. Either way, it’s a tough break for a Flyers team that has shown some mettle but also shot itself in the foot more than its fair share.
Are these the “breaks” that the Devils needed?
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5