Apr 21, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
I already mentioned the fact that Jeff Carter and Simon Gagne are suffering from foot injuries, but it turns out that the situations are severe enough that both will need surgery on Friday according to TSN.
Simon Gagne and Jeff Carter both suffered foot injuries in the contest, and both will have surgery on Friday.
According the Flyers, Gagne could return to action in three weeks, while Carter is out indefinitely.
“Indefinitely” is one of those vague injury descriptions that probably means “definitely not coming back in the playoffs” although I could be wrong. Either way, I’d imagine that the Flyers better get used to playing without two of their most dangerous forwards.
Ville Leino will likely take at least one of the spots at forward. The Flyers have a number of call-ups from the Phantoms that could also play, including Andreas Nodl and David Laliberte.
You never know, this could be the kind of bad break that can swing a series. At best, it makes the Flyers potential fodder in the second round … especially if it ends up being, say, the Washington Capitals. Either way, it’s a tough break for a Flyers team that has shown some mettle but also shot itself in the foot more than its fair share.
Are these the “breaks” that the Devils needed?
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 28
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 24
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 22
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 58
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 32
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22