Apr 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
At the Vancouver Canucks realize that what’s costing them wins in the
playoffs isn’t some conspiracy, but some horrible execution in a number
of key areas. Vancouver will be going with Roberto Luongo in net, so
they haven’t exactly addressed that problem.
But the absurdly bad
penalty killing, in which the the Kings have scored on a ridiculous
7-of-12 power plays, can be seen as perhaps the biggest factor in these
losses and the Canucks are desperate to fix the issue.
desperate? It appears that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will see significant
time on the penalty kill as the series heads for a pivotal Game 4
Jason Botchford of The Province:
“Things aren’t going our way, but the things that aren’t going our
way are easy to correct because it’s the penalty killing,” Daniel Sedin
said. “If we correct that, and be a little bit better, we’re going to be
in every game and have a really good chance of winning.
our No. 1 problem.”
It’s certainly a desperation move, putting your best offensive
players on the penalty kill. But the Canucks have run out of options,
and going down 3-1 to the Kings is not an option. At least if the
Canucks are trying something different, instead of sticking with the
same old approach that is constantly failing.
And if you’re giving up more power play goals than you can keep up
with, might as well have some counterattack options out on the ice.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 15
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)