Apr 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
At the Vancouver Canucks realize that what’s costing them wins in the
playoffs isn’t some conspiracy, but some horrible execution in a number
of key areas. Vancouver will be going with Roberto Luongo in net, so
they haven’t exactly addressed that problem.
But the absurdly bad
penalty killing, in which the the Kings have scored on a ridiculous
7-of-12 power plays, can be seen as perhaps the biggest factor in these
losses and the Canucks are desperate to fix the issue.
desperate? It appears that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will see significant
time on the penalty kill as the series heads for a pivotal Game 4
Jason Botchford of The Province:
“Things aren’t going our way, but the things that aren’t going our
way are easy to correct because it’s the penalty killing,” Daniel Sedin
said. “If we correct that, and be a little bit better, we’re going to be
in every game and have a really good chance of winning.
our No. 1 problem.”
It’s certainly a desperation move, putting your best offensive
players on the penalty kill. But the Canucks have run out of options,
and going down 3-1 to the Kings is not an option. At least if the
Canucks are trying something different, instead of sticking with the
same old approach that is constantly failing.
And if you’re giving up more power play goals than you can keep up
with, might as well have some counterattack options out on the ice.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)