Apr 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
At the Vancouver Canucks realize that what’s costing them wins in the
playoffs isn’t some conspiracy, but some horrible execution in a number
of key areas. Vancouver will be going with Roberto Luongo in net, so
they haven’t exactly addressed that problem.
But the absurdly bad
penalty killing, in which the the Kings have scored on a ridiculous
7-of-12 power plays, can be seen as perhaps the biggest factor in these
losses and the Canucks are desperate to fix the issue.
desperate? It appears that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will see significant
time on the penalty kill as the series heads for a pivotal Game 4
Jason Botchford of The Province:
“Things aren’t going our way, but the things that aren’t going our
way are easy to correct because it’s the penalty killing,” Daniel Sedin
said. “If we correct that, and be a little bit better, we’re going to be
in every game and have a really good chance of winning.
our No. 1 problem.”
It’s certainly a desperation move, putting your best offensive
players on the penalty kill. But the Canucks have run out of options,
and going down 3-1 to the Kings is not an option. At least if the
Canucks are trying something different, instead of sticking with the
same old approach that is constantly failing.
And if you’re giving up more power play goals than you can keep up
with, might as well have some counterattack options out on the ice.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 9
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 10
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 81
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (81)