Apr 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EDT
At the Vancouver Canucks realize that what’s costing them wins in the
playoffs isn’t some conspiracy, but some horrible execution in a number
of key areas. Vancouver will be going with Roberto Luongo in net, so
they haven’t exactly addressed that problem.
But the absurdly bad
penalty killing, in which the the Kings have scored on a ridiculous
7-of-12 power plays, can be seen as perhaps the biggest factor in these
losses and the Canucks are desperate to fix the issue.
desperate? It appears that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will see significant
time on the penalty kill as the series heads for a pivotal Game 4
Jason Botchford of The Province:
“Things aren’t going our way, but the things that aren’t going our
way are easy to correct because it’s the penalty killing,” Daniel Sedin
said. “If we correct that, and be a little bit better, we’re going to be
in every game and have a really good chance of winning.
our No. 1 problem.”
It’s certainly a desperation move, putting your best offensive
players on the penalty kill. But the Canucks have run out of options,
and going down 3-1 to the Kings is not an option. At least if the
Canucks are trying something different, instead of sticking with the
same old approach that is constantly failing.
And if you’re giving up more power play goals than you can keep up
with, might as well have some counterattack options out on the ice.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)