Apr 21, 2010, 9:29 PM EST
At the Vancouver Canucks realize that what’s costing them wins in the
playoffs isn’t some conspiracy, but some horrible execution in a number
of key areas. Vancouver will be going with Roberto Luongo in net, so
they haven’t exactly addressed that problem.
But the absurdly bad
penalty killing, in which the the Kings have scored on a ridiculous
7-of-12 power plays, can be seen as perhaps the biggest factor in these
losses and the Canucks are desperate to fix the issue.
desperate? It appears that Daniel and Henrik Sedin will see significant
time on the penalty kill as the series heads for a pivotal Game 4
Jason Botchford of The Province:
“Things aren’t going our way, but the things that aren’t going our
way are easy to correct because it’s the penalty killing,” Daniel Sedin
said. “If we correct that, and be a little bit better, we’re going to be
in every game and have a really good chance of winning.
our No. 1 problem.”
It’s certainly a desperation move, putting your best offensive
players on the penalty kill. But the Canucks have run out of options,
and going down 3-1 to the Kings is not an option. At least if the
Canucks are trying something different, instead of sticking with the
same old approach that is constantly failing.
And if you’re giving up more power play goals than you can keep up
with, might as well have some counterattack options out on the ice.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)