Apr 21, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
For the second straight year, the Toronto Maple Leafs landed the European Goalie Du Jour. Last year it was Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, this year it’s Finnish goalie Jussi Rynnas according to Maple Leafs bloggers Pension Plan Puppets. The blog had one of its community members translate an article about the goalie.
Jussi Rynnas, who attracted NHL teams interest during this season, will continue his career on the other side of the pond (Atlantic ocean). The goalie’s new club is Toronto Maple Leafs. Satakunnan Kansa was the first one to break the news.
There was a big competition for Rynnäs during the whole spring. Finally the man chose Toronto to his destination, which he believes is the best place for him the develop to NHL level goaltender.
The blog lists some stats that don’t seem particularly relevant since they were compiled in an inferior league, but the mustache-heavy photo is what makes the move awesome. Sure, he might not work out on the ice, but with a ‘stache like that at least he could be good for a couple of laughs.
Along with their two imports, the Leafs obviously still have pricey veteran J.S. Giguere on their roster for at least one more season (unless he is traded, of course). Pension Plan Puppets notes that the deal is a two-year, two-way contract that has been verified by Rynnas himself.
[Editor's note: We had originally reported it was a three-year contract based on this tweet by Damien Cox. It appears that it is in fact a two-year.]
If nothing else, it gives the Leafs more flexibility in net. Besides, you never know when you’ll find the next Jonas Hiller.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)