Apr 21, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
For the second straight year, the Toronto Maple Leafs landed the European Goalie Du Jour. Last year it was Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, this year it’s Finnish goalie Jussi Rynnas according to Maple Leafs bloggers Pension Plan Puppets. The blog had one of its community members translate an article about the goalie.
Jussi Rynnas, who attracted NHL teams interest during this season, will continue his career on the other side of the pond (Atlantic ocean). The goalie’s new club is Toronto Maple Leafs. Satakunnan Kansa was the first one to break the news.
There was a big competition for Rynnäs during the whole spring. Finally the man chose Toronto to his destination, which he believes is the best place for him the develop to NHL level goaltender.
The blog lists some stats that don’t seem particularly relevant since they were compiled in an inferior league, but the mustache-heavy photo is what makes the move awesome. Sure, he might not work out on the ice, but with a ‘stache like that at least he could be good for a couple of laughs.
Along with their two imports, the Leafs obviously still have pricey veteran J.S. Giguere on their roster for at least one more season (unless he is traded, of course). Pension Plan Puppets notes that the deal is a two-year, two-way contract that has been verified by Rynnas himself.
[Editor's note: We had originally reported it was a three-year contract based on this tweet by Damien Cox. It appears that it is in fact a two-year.]
If nothing else, it gives the Leafs more flexibility in net. Besides, you never know when you’ll find the next Jonas Hiller.
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 2
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 7
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 31
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 41
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25