Apr 21, 2010, 5:40 PM EDT
For the second straight year, the Toronto Maple Leafs landed the European Goalie Du Jour. Last year it was Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, this year it’s Finnish goalie Jussi Rynnas according to Maple Leafs bloggers Pension Plan Puppets. The blog had one of its community members translate an article about the goalie.
Jussi Rynnas, who attracted NHL teams interest during this season, will continue his career on the other side of the pond (Atlantic ocean). The goalie’s new club is Toronto Maple Leafs. Satakunnan Kansa was the first one to break the news.
There was a big competition for Rynnäs during the whole spring. Finally the man chose Toronto to his destination, which he believes is the best place for him the develop to NHL level goaltender.
The blog lists some stats that don’t seem particularly relevant since they were compiled in an inferior league, but the mustache-heavy photo is what makes the move awesome. Sure, he might not work out on the ice, but with a ‘stache like that at least he could be good for a couple of laughs.
Along with their two imports, the Leafs obviously still have pricey veteran J.S. Giguere on their roster for at least one more season (unless he is traded, of course). Pension Plan Puppets notes that the deal is a two-year, two-way contract that has been verified by Rynnas himself.
[Editor's note: We had originally reported it was a three-year contract based on this tweet by Damien Cox. It appears that it is in fact a two-year.]
If nothing else, it gives the Leafs more flexibility in net. Besides, you never know when you’ll find the next Jonas Hiller.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 23
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)