Apr 21, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
For the second straight year, the Toronto Maple Leafs landed the European Goalie Du Jour. Last year it was Jonas “The Monster” Gustavsson, this year it’s Finnish goalie Jussi Rynnas according to Maple Leafs bloggers Pension Plan Puppets. The blog had one of its community members translate an article about the goalie.
Jussi Rynnas, who attracted NHL teams interest during this season, will continue his career on the other side of the pond (Atlantic ocean). The goalie’s new club is Toronto Maple Leafs. Satakunnan Kansa was the first one to break the news.
There was a big competition for Rynnäs during the whole spring. Finally the man chose Toronto to his destination, which he believes is the best place for him the develop to NHL level goaltender.
The blog lists some stats that don’t seem particularly relevant since they were compiled in an inferior league, but the mustache-heavy photo is what makes the move awesome. Sure, he might not work out on the ice, but with a ‘stache like that at least he could be good for a couple of laughs.
Along with their two imports, the Leafs obviously still have pricey veteran J.S. Giguere on their roster for at least one more season (unless he is traded, of course). Pension Plan Puppets notes that the deal is a two-year, two-way contract that has been verified by Rynnas himself.
[Editor’s note: We had originally reported it was a three-year contract based on this tweet by Damien Cox. It appears that it is in fact a two-year.]
If nothing else, it gives the Leafs more flexibility in net. Besides, you never know when you’ll find the next Jonas Hiller.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 8
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 7
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54