Apr 21, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Remember a couple of days ago when we were lamenting how Alex
Ovechkin was feeling the pressure, how the Caps looked unprepared for
the playoffs and how it seemed the Canadiens could actually have a
chance at pulling off a monster upset?
Well, let’s just end that
talk here and now.
The Montreal Canadiens have melted down in
three straight games, and are now on the verge of an ultimate
elimination at the hands of the Capitals. Does anyone believe they’ll
put together three straight wins now? Didn’t think so.
been amazing to watch is just how quickly the meltdowns have come. These
haven’t been systematic beatings by the Capitals; it’s been more akin
to predator waiting and waiting patiently for it’s prey to weaken before
it attacks in one, violent motion.
The question now is just who
the Canadiens put in net in Game 5. Jaroslav Halak looked ready for a
breakdown in Game 3, and played right into Ovechkin’s claim he was
‘rattled’. Carey Price, after allowing two quick goals tonight was
penalized for shooting the puck at the celebrating Habs players, then
appeared to take a swipe at a passing Caps player from the bench.
goaltenders are struggling, and this comes after the Capitals looked to
be in all sorts of trouble at the end of the 2nd period down 4-1. Since
then, the Capitals have controlled the series and now have three
chances to put away the Canadiens.
And Alex Ovechkin? He looks
like he’s right back on track. Tonight was the first game of the
playoffs where the speed we’re all used to seeing from him, and had two
highlight goals once again. He’ll be fine.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 16
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 21
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 62
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights