Apr 21, 2010, 10:00 PM EDT
Remember a couple of days ago when we were lamenting how Alex
Ovechkin was feeling the pressure, how the Caps looked unprepared for
the playoffs and how it seemed the Canadiens could actually have a
chance at pulling off a monster upset?
Well, let’s just end that
talk here and now.
The Montreal Canadiens have melted down in
three straight games, and are now on the verge of an ultimate
elimination at the hands of the Capitals. Does anyone believe they’ll
put together three straight wins now? Didn’t think so.
been amazing to watch is just how quickly the meltdowns have come. These
haven’t been systematic beatings by the Capitals; it’s been more akin
to predator waiting and waiting patiently for it’s prey to weaken before
it attacks in one, violent motion.
The question now is just who
the Canadiens put in net in Game 5. Jaroslav Halak looked ready for a
breakdown in Game 3, and played right into Ovechkin’s claim he was
‘rattled’. Carey Price, after allowing two quick goals tonight was
penalized for shooting the puck at the celebrating Habs players, then
appeared to take a swipe at a passing Caps player from the bench.
goaltenders are struggling, and this comes after the Capitals looked to
be in all sorts of trouble at the end of the 2nd period down 4-1. Since
then, the Capitals have controlled the series and now have three
chances to put away the Canadiens.
And Alex Ovechkin? He looks
like he’s right back on track. Tonight was the first game of the
playoffs where the speed we’re all used to seeing from him, and had two
highlight goals once again. He’ll be fine.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)