Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Joe shared this first, but at that time it was unclear if this was official or not. Martin admitted that Price is going to start in the morning skate today.
Montreal coach Jacques Martin is rolling the dice and going with goalie Carey Price in hopes the Canadiens can even their first-round playoff series against Washington.
Price was given the nod over Jaroslav Halak at Wednesday’s morning skate, hours before the Canadiens host the Capitals in Game 4 of their NHL Eastern Conference quarter-final at 7 p.m. ET.
He earned the start with a 21-save performance in relief of Halak in a 5-1 Game 3 loss on Monday.
This is the equivalent of a failing investment firm firing their receptionist. Halak has had highs and lows in the series, as the story illustrates pretty nicely, but their problems run deeper than who is in net.
Halak posted a 4.07 goals-against average and .887 save percentage in the first three games of the series, compared to 2.40, .924 totals in the regular season.
Price appeared in 41 games during the regular campaign, sporting a 2.77 GAA and .912 save percentage.
Naturally, neither Halak nor Price were forced to face the Capitals for all of their starts so their regular season stats are a moot point. The Canadiens pulled off a nice win in Game 1 and were close to having two wins, but it seems like reality is starting to set in. I’d probably focus on getting Jose Theodore back in the net for the Capitals, personally.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)