Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Joe shared this first, but at that time it was unclear if this was official or not. Martin admitted that Price is going to start in the morning skate today.
Montreal coach Jacques Martin is rolling the dice and going with goalie Carey Price in hopes the Canadiens can even their first-round playoff series against Washington.
Price was given the nod over Jaroslav Halak at Wednesday’s morning skate, hours before the Canadiens host the Capitals in Game 4 of their NHL Eastern Conference quarter-final at 7 p.m. ET.
He earned the start with a 21-save performance in relief of Halak in a 5-1 Game 3 loss on Monday.
This is the equivalent of a failing investment firm firing their receptionist. Halak has had highs and lows in the series, as the story illustrates pretty nicely, but their problems run deeper than who is in net.
Halak posted a 4.07 goals-against average and .887 save percentage in the first three games of the series, compared to 2.40, .924 totals in the regular season.
Price appeared in 41 games during the regular campaign, sporting a 2.77 GAA and .912 save percentage.
Naturally, neither Halak nor Price were forced to face the Capitals for all of their starts so their regular season stats are a moot point. The Canadiens pulled off a nice win in Game 1 and were close to having two wins, but it seems like reality is starting to set in. I’d probably focus on getting Jose Theodore back in the net for the Capitals, personally.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)