Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Joe shared this first, but at that time it was unclear if this was official or not. Martin admitted that Price is going to start in the morning skate today.
Montreal coach Jacques Martin is rolling the dice and going with goalie Carey Price in hopes the Canadiens can even their first-round playoff series against Washington.
Price was given the nod over Jaroslav Halak at Wednesday’s morning skate, hours before the Canadiens host the Capitals in Game 4 of their NHL Eastern Conference quarter-final at 7 p.m. ET.
He earned the start with a 21-save performance in relief of Halak in a 5-1 Game 3 loss on Monday.
This is the equivalent of a failing investment firm firing their receptionist. Halak has had highs and lows in the series, as the story illustrates pretty nicely, but their problems run deeper than who is in net.
Halak posted a 4.07 goals-against average and .887 save percentage in the first three games of the series, compared to 2.40, .924 totals in the regular season.
Price appeared in 41 games during the regular campaign, sporting a 2.77 GAA and .912 save percentage.
Naturally, neither Halak nor Price were forced to face the Capitals for all of their starts so their regular season stats are a moot point. The Canadiens pulled off a nice win in Game 1 and were close to having two wins, but it seems like reality is starting to set in. I’d probably focus on getting Jose Theodore back in the net for the Capitals, personally.
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 41
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 88
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 37
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 79
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL