Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 PM EST
Joe shared this first, but at that time it was unclear if this was official or not. Martin admitted that Price is going to start in the morning skate today.
Montreal coach Jacques Martin is rolling the dice and going with goalie Carey Price in hopes the Canadiens can even their first-round playoff series against Washington.
Price was given the nod over Jaroslav Halak at Wednesday’s morning skate, hours before the Canadiens host the Capitals in Game 4 of their NHL Eastern Conference quarter-final at 7 p.m. ET.
He earned the start with a 21-save performance in relief of Halak in a 5-1 Game 3 loss on Monday.
This is the equivalent of a failing investment firm firing their receptionist. Halak has had highs and lows in the series, as the story illustrates pretty nicely, but their problems run deeper than who is in net.
Halak posted a 4.07 goals-against average and .887 save percentage in the first three games of the series, compared to 2.40, .924 totals in the regular season.
Price appeared in 41 games during the regular campaign, sporting a 2.77 GAA and .912 save percentage.
Naturally, neither Halak nor Price were forced to face the Capitals for all of their starts so their regular season stats are a moot point. The Canadiens pulled off a nice win in Game 1 and were close to having two wins, but it seems like reality is starting to set in. I’d probably focus on getting Jose Theodore back in the net for the Capitals, personally.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (123)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (104)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (100)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (94)