Apr 21, 2010, 1:00 PM EDT
Joe shared this first, but at that time it was unclear if this was official or not. Martin admitted that Price is going to start in the morning skate today.
Montreal coach Jacques Martin is rolling the dice and going with goalie Carey Price in hopes the Canadiens can even their first-round playoff series against Washington.
Price was given the nod over Jaroslav Halak at Wednesday’s morning skate, hours before the Canadiens host the Capitals in Game 4 of their NHL Eastern Conference quarter-final at 7 p.m. ET.
He earned the start with a 21-save performance in relief of Halak in a 5-1 Game 3 loss on Monday.
This is the equivalent of a failing investment firm firing their receptionist. Halak has had highs and lows in the series, as the story illustrates pretty nicely, but their problems run deeper than who is in net.
Halak posted a 4.07 goals-against average and .887 save percentage in the first three games of the series, compared to 2.40, .924 totals in the regular season.
Price appeared in 41 games during the regular campaign, sporting a 2.77 GAA and .912 save percentage.
Naturally, neither Halak nor Price were forced to face the Capitals for all of their starts so their regular season stats are a moot point. The Canadiens pulled off a nice win in Game 1 and were close to having two wins, but it seems like reality is starting to set in. I’d probably focus on getting Jose Theodore back in the net for the Capitals, personally.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)