Apr 20, 2010, 4:36 PM EDT
According to Michael Russo of the Star-Tribune, assistant GM of the Minnesota Wild Tommy Thompson has been fired.
Thompson, 56, has been with the Wild 11 years. He was originally hired
by Doug Risebrough and was one of the team’s first employees. He was
mostly in charge of the amateur scouting department and responsible for
The Minnesota Wild struggled mightily this past season, and have one of the barest prospect systems in the NHL. They were ranked dead last by Hockey Future’s organizational rankings, and this was before the team traded Nick Leddy away.
The Wild will be facing a tough summer, with $47 million in payroll already locked up for next season, and just 17 players on the NHL roster. The Wild have the 9th overall pick in the this year’s NHL Entry Draft.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 16
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)