Apr 20, 2010, 8:03 PM EST
Performance drug testing and the NHL aren’t generally talked about very much. That changed last month when a steroids dealer named Richard Thomas was tracked down in Florida and arrested and was ready to sing for authorities on who he was getting PEDs for. From that investigation, a D.C. area chiropractor with connections to both the Washington Capitals and baseball’s Washington Nationals, Dr. Douglas Nagel, was arrested for obtaining steroids and other illegal performance enhancing drugs.
Just like that, the spotlight that has besieged Major League Baseball for years now fell upon the NHL. Just how serious did the NHL take looking into these charges? If you asked from Polk County Sheriff Grady Judd, according to an incredible story from Sports Illustrated’s David Epstein, you might be caught off guard.
After the arrest of Nagel, says Judd, “the NHL head of security was more concerned about how we got jurisdiction to arrest him [in Virginia].”
“I don’t know whether the NHL has a steroid issue or not,” Judd says, “but they certainly are very uncomfortable with us asking questions about it.”
To be clear here, no Capitals players failed any drug tests and players are tested a lot during the season. During the off-season and playoffs, however, players are not tested. The Capitals and the NHL both issued statements declaring there were no problems at all and that they’d help out investigators. That said, the Sheriff isn’t happy and that can’t bode well for the league. Just ask Major League Baseball about that.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 22
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)