Apr 20, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT
It happens in all sports, not just the NHL. Fans become convinced
that there is a ‘conspiracy’ in place against their team, some sort of
call from a higher authority that determines the trajectory a team
takes. This is amped up even more, when penalty calls and decisions made
by NHL officials can have a direct result on a playoff series.
Red Wings fans are convinced the NHL has it out for their team.
Mavericks fans are convinced the NBA decided their loss to the Heat in
the finals (although with NBA officiating, that may have some merit).
it seems, the Vancouver Canucks could have a target on their backs. With Mike Murphy, former coach of the Kings, as the VP of hockey operations there are claims that he’s calling the shots in favor of the Kings.
not buying it.
Bad calls are made against every team, in every
sport, all the time. In fact, as
Greg Wyshynski puts it on Puck Daddy, the War Room decisions are a
consensus of a group of people. It’s not just Murphy making the
If the NHL really had it out for the Red
Wings, then the league wouldn’t have called back several borderline
goals by the Dallas Stars two years ago. They wouldn’t have given Todd
Bertuzzi a goal this season when he “kicked” it in when the back of his
What is really unfortunate, is when the media plays up the
conspiracy theories as well. From
Ed Willes of The Province:
Oh, the call on
Daniel’s non-goal will make for some talk-show fodder
today, particularly because it’s now clear the NHL wants the Kings to
To be fair, Willes’ article harps on how the
Canucks are doing everything wrong if they hope to beat the Kings, and
that should really be the focus of this series. Forget the penalty calls
or the controversial goal; the NHL makes horrible war room decisions
all the time, not just against the Canucks or the Red Wings.
talk about how Roberto Luongo looks just as bad as he did coming back
from the Olympics. How Henrik Sedin is struggling to live up
expectations. How the Vancouver defense is left standing around and
watching as the Kings forwards overmatch them game after game. That is
where the focus should be. Forget conspiracies, it’s just a way of
forgetting what the real issues are with your team.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)