Apr 20, 2010, 8:18 PM EDT
Updates from around a busy night of Game 4s across the NHL:
Detroit and Phoenix battle through each other in what’s become a series with a lot of sandpaper-like play. Ilya Bryzgalov has been equal to the task until late in the second when Niklas Kronwall‘s shot from the point and deflected in on a possible high-stick by Henrik Zetterberg netted the game’s first goal halfway through the second period to give Detroit a 1-0 lead. The play was reviewed and found to not be hit in illegally. Phoenix leads the series 2-1.
New Jersey and Philadelphia’s Game 4 war rages on in Philadelphia and penalties again are the story for the Flyers as the Devils have put home the game’s only goal to this point on the 5-on-3 power play courtesy of Ilya Kovalchuk. Clearly Kovalchuk’s offense stepping up for the Devils would be a welcome addition for the team that found themselves frustrated by the Flyers in Game 3. Philly leads the series 2-1.
Ottawa finds themselves in a big hole in the second period against Pittsburgh. After entering the second frame already down 1-0 thanks to Evgeni Malkin’s power play goal, the Sens got off to a worse start in the second period courtesy of back-to-back goals by Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke. The Sens trail the series 2-1.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)