Apr 20, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Updates from around a busy night of Game 4s across the NHL:
Detroit and Phoenix battle through each other in what’s become a series with a lot of sandpaper-like play. Ilya Bryzgalov has been equal to the task until late in the second when Niklas Kronwall‘s shot from the point and deflected in on a possible high-stick by Henrik Zetterberg netted the game’s first goal halfway through the second period to give Detroit a 1-0 lead. The play was reviewed and found to not be hit in illegally. Phoenix leads the series 2-1.
New Jersey and Philadelphia’s Game 4 war rages on in Philadelphia and penalties again are the story for the Flyers as the Devils have put home the game’s only goal to this point on the 5-on-3 power play courtesy of Ilya Kovalchuk. Clearly Kovalchuk’s offense stepping up for the Devils would be a welcome addition for the team that found themselves frustrated by the Flyers in Game 3. Philly leads the series 2-1.
Ottawa finds themselves in a big hole in the second period against Pittsburgh. After entering the second frame already down 1-0 thanks to Evgeni Malkin’s power play goal, the Sens got off to a worse start in the second period courtesy of back-to-back goals by Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke. The Sens trail the series 2-1.
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 15
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 16
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 7
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8