Apr 20, 2010, 8:18 PM EST
Updates from around a busy night of Game 4s across the NHL:
Detroit and Phoenix battle through each other in what’s become a series with a lot of sandpaper-like play. Ilya Bryzgalov has been equal to the task until late in the second when Niklas Kronwall‘s shot from the point and deflected in on a possible high-stick by Henrik Zetterberg netted the game’s first goal halfway through the second period to give Detroit a 1-0 lead. The play was reviewed and found to not be hit in illegally. Phoenix leads the series 2-1.
New Jersey and Philadelphia’s Game 4 war rages on in Philadelphia and penalties again are the story for the Flyers as the Devils have put home the game’s only goal to this point on the 5-on-3 power play courtesy of Ilya Kovalchuk. Clearly Kovalchuk’s offense stepping up for the Devils would be a welcome addition for the team that found themselves frustrated by the Flyers in Game 3. Philly leads the series 2-1.
Ottawa finds themselves in a big hole in the second period against Pittsburgh. After entering the second frame already down 1-0 thanks to Evgeni Malkin’s power play goal, the Sens got off to a worse start in the second period courtesy of back-to-back goals by Sidney Crosby and Matt Cooke. The Sens trail the series 2-1.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 12
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)