Apr 20, 2010, 9:37 PM EDT
After a mostly lackluster effort against a fired up Coyotes team in Game 3, the Red Wings answered the bell in a big way in Game 4 taking out Phoenix 3-0 to tie the series at 2-2.
One of the major players under the microscope for Detroit after Detroit’s mostly miserable performance was Jimmy Howard and he too came up big stopping 29 shots and earning his first career playoff shutout. Henrik Zetterberg’s first period power play tip-in goal was all the Wings would need and after a replay confirmed, mostly, that he didn’t hit it in with a high stick the Wings were on their way.
Pavel Datsyuk and Henrik Zetterberg would score goals 25 seconds apart late in the third to ice the game away for Detroit. Phoenix goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov, who was brilliant early on, stopped 32 of 35 shots in the loss for Phoenix. Game 5 will be Friday night in Phoenix.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 0
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 9
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 36
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 55
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)