Apr 20, 2010, 9:03 PM EDT
Whoever told you goal scoring was down may have had a point, but some of the games of the playoffs are making people get a hearty laugh at statements like that. Tonight, Ottawa and Pittsburgh broke out their wagons and set them ablaze as the teams traded shots and chances to the tune of eight total goals in the second period. The downside of that for the home standing Senators is that Pittsburgh scored five of them.
Pittsburgh got the goal scoring started quickly in the period with Sidney Crosby at the 3:47 mark followed 12 seconds later by the infamous Matt Cooke helping to put Pittsburgh up 3-0. Crosby added his second goal of the game at the 6:12 mark to make it 4-0 and chasing starting goaltender Brian Elliott from the game. Pascal Leclaire would replace and enter the fray, seeing the first playoff action of his career.
Ottawa then decided to get back into things less than a minute after that courtesy of the infamous Chris Neil. Four minutes later it was Daniel Alfredsson to make the game 4-2. After all that excitement even strength, it was high time for the special teams to get involved. Max Talbot would score a shorthanded goal for the Pens then followed by a Senators power play goal by Matt Cullen during Jordan Staal’s penalty for hooking. Chris Kunitz would chip in the eighth goal of the period with under two minutes to play in the second to make it 6-3.
I’d suspect that tightening things up defensively will be discussed during the intermission.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 6
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 18
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 125
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (125)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)