Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Jose Theodore received a quick yank against the Canadiens on Saturday
night, after allowing two goals on two shots. The Habs would score three
more on his replacement Semyon Varlamov and with the series headed back
to Montreal tonight, I was thinking that perhaps the Capitals might
want veteran Theodore back in net for an incredibly important game 3.
Damien Cox is reporting that
the Capitals will, in fact, go with Varlamov in net.
As Japers’ Rink covers here, Varlamov has had much more success historically against the Habs in Montreal, and has actually won two playoff series for the Capitals. Theodore has three losses in three starts for the Capitals the past two season in playoffs.
You have to feel for Theodore, however, who was so focused on not repeating last
season’s disappointing playoff performance and was coming off a great
regular season. Now he’s been passed up, yet again for Varlamov; you can be certain that Boudreau will not hesitate to turn back to
Theodore if Varlamov struggles.
With the Capitals, they will do what’s necessary to ensure they have the
best players on the ice as they strive for a Stanley Cup. If that means
a goaltender rotation, then so be it.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)