Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Jose Theodore received a quick yank against the Canadiens on Saturday
night, after allowing two goals on two shots. The Habs would score three
more on his replacement Semyon Varlamov and with the series headed back
to Montreal tonight, I was thinking that perhaps the Capitals might
want veteran Theodore back in net for an incredibly important game 3.
Damien Cox is reporting that
the Capitals will, in fact, go with Varlamov in net.
As Japers’ Rink covers here, Varlamov has had much more success historically against the Habs in Montreal, and has actually won two playoff series for the Capitals. Theodore has three losses in three starts for the Capitals the past two season in playoffs.
You have to feel for Theodore, however, who was so focused on not repeating last
season’s disappointing playoff performance and was coming off a great
regular season. Now he’s been passed up, yet again for Varlamov; you can be certain that Boudreau will not hesitate to turn back to
Theodore if Varlamov struggles.
With the Capitals, they will do what’s necessary to ensure they have the
best players on the ice as they strive for a Stanley Cup. If that means
a goaltender rotation, then so be it.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 11
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 35
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (86)