Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Jose Theodore received a quick yank against the Canadiens on Saturday
night, after allowing two goals on two shots. The Habs would score three
more on his replacement Semyon Varlamov and with the series headed back
to Montreal tonight, I was thinking that perhaps the Capitals might
want veteran Theodore back in net for an incredibly important game 3.
Damien Cox is reporting that
the Capitals will, in fact, go with Varlamov in net.
As Japers’ Rink covers here, Varlamov has had much more success historically against the Habs in Montreal, and has actually won two playoff series for the Capitals. Theodore has three losses in three starts for the Capitals the past two season in playoffs.
You have to feel for Theodore, however, who was so focused on not repeating last
season’s disappointing playoff performance and was coming off a great
regular season. Now he’s been passed up, yet again for Varlamov; you can be certain that Boudreau will not hesitate to turn back to
Theodore if Varlamov struggles.
With the Capitals, they will do what’s necessary to ensure they have the
best players on the ice as they strive for a Stanley Cup. If that means
a goaltender rotation, then so be it.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)