Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EDT
Jose Theodore received a quick yank against the Canadiens on Saturday
night, after allowing two goals on two shots. The Habs would score three
more on his replacement Semyon Varlamov and with the series headed back
to Montreal tonight, I was thinking that perhaps the Capitals might
want veteran Theodore back in net for an incredibly important game 3.
Damien Cox is reporting that
the Capitals will, in fact, go with Varlamov in net.
As Japers’ Rink covers here, Varlamov has had much more success historically against the Habs in Montreal, and has actually won two playoff series for the Capitals. Theodore has three losses in three starts for the Capitals the past two season in playoffs.
You have to feel for Theodore, however, who was so focused on not repeating last
season’s disappointing playoff performance and was coming off a great
regular season. Now he’s been passed up, yet again for Varlamov; you can be certain that Boudreau will not hesitate to turn back to
Theodore if Varlamov struggles.
With the Capitals, they will do what’s necessary to ensure they have the
best players on the ice as they strive for a Stanley Cup. If that means
a goaltender rotation, then so be it.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)