Apr 19, 2010, 11:29 AM EST
Jose Theodore received a quick yank against the Canadiens on Saturday
night, after allowing two goals on two shots. The Habs would score three
more on his replacement Semyon Varlamov and with the series headed back
to Montreal tonight, I was thinking that perhaps the Capitals might
want veteran Theodore back in net for an incredibly important game 3.
Damien Cox is reporting that
the Capitals will, in fact, go with Varlamov in net.
As Japers’ Rink covers here, Varlamov has had much more success historically against the Habs in Montreal, and has actually won two playoff series for the Capitals. Theodore has three losses in three starts for the Capitals the past two season in playoffs.
You have to feel for Theodore, however, who was so focused on not repeating last
season’s disappointing playoff performance and was coming off a great
regular season. Now he’s been passed up, yet again for Varlamov; you can be certain that Boudreau will not hesitate to turn back to
Theodore if Varlamov struggles.
With the Capitals, they will do what’s necessary to ensure they have the
best players on the ice as they strive for a Stanley Cup. If that means
a goaltender rotation, then so be it.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)