Apr 19, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
Thomas Vanek is not expected to play in tonight’s Game 3 match against the Boston Bruins but it’s not all bad news for the Buffalo Sabres. Solid winger Drew Stafford is supposed to return after suffering from concussion symptoms, the Boston Herald reports.
The Sabres may be missing their best goalscorer in Thomas Vanek, out with a lower body injury, but they’ll be getting back another pretty good player in Drew Stafford tonight. Stafford, who had 14-20-34 totals in 71 regular season games, missed the first two games with a concussion he suffered late in the regular season. He had failed a neuro-psych test prior to Saturday’s Game 2, but he passed one yesterday and he’ll be in the lineup tonight, most likely skating with Tim Connolly and Tyler Ennis.
Coach Lindy Ruff said Vanek, meanwhile, has made no progress with his injury, believed to be a left foot or ankle.
Vanek is a more valuable player, being that he is the team’s leading goal scorer. Still, having a decent scoring threat such as Stafford come back should help fill some of the gap left by their ailing sniper. The Sabres seemed to fall apart once Vanek was injured, though the odd scoring outbursts allowed by Ryan Miller and Co. might have happened anyway.
Still, if the Sabres want to make a legitimate run for the Stanley Cup, they’ll need Vanek back. We’ll keep an eye on the winger’s condition going forward.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)