Apr 19, 2010, 11:09 AM EDT
It seemed like an impossibility just a few weeks ago when a pale and
visibly shaken Marc Savard appeared in public to speak about his
troubles with symptoms from a concussion. Yet Savard is optimistic about
being able to return to game action soon, after skating for the first
time since his injury this morning.
From Fluto Shinzawa on the
Bruins Blog, Savard “felt great” after the skate and has been
symptom-free for over a week.
Savard passed an
exertion test yesterday. Savard plans to skate on his
own again tomorrow morning, then undergo a neuro-psych test in the
afternoon. If Savard passes, he will be cleared to return to practice,
although he wasn’t sure if he’d jump in with his teammates right away.
stated just two weeks ago that he was likely out for the season, and
now it seems he could be a week from being able to jump into game
action. I wouldn’t expect him to log 18 to 20 minutes a game, since he’s
barely conducted any physical activity since his injury, but just
having Savard on the ice or on the bench will be a tremendous emotional
boost for the Bruins.
He’ll still need to be cleared to play by
the training staff, even if he passes these tests so there’s no
gaurantee that Savard will return for the fourth round. So the Bruins
now have something more to play for, something more substantial than
just “proving themselves”, as they hope to get their emotional leader
back on the ice before being eliminated.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)