Apr 19, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
The Biz of Hockey featured a story that has some good news and some bad news regarding NHL attendance figures. The bad news is that – overall – league wide gates dropped 2.2 percent compared to the 2008-09 season. The good news, though, is that things went up in the second half of the season as teams geared up for the playoffs and the Olympics increased interest (at least on some level) in the sport.
SportsBusiness Daily reported that overall attendance in the NHL is down 2.2 percent from last season. In December, Biz of Hockey looked at how attendance was doing and found that it was down almost 5 percent from where the league finished in ’09. The second half of the NHL season saw a sizable recovery possibly due to momentum gained from the Winter Classic, Olympics and playoff battles. And, despite the overall drop for the league’s worst draw the Phoenix Coyotes, the team finished 12.4 percent higher than it’s first-half percentage. The Coyotes weren’t the only team to see a second-half boost, the Nashville Predators finished 7 percent higher than they stood at mid-season while the Tampa Bay Lightning, Los Angeles Kings and Carolina Hurricanes drew just over 5 percent more fans. Only two teams saw second-half losses, the New York Rangers and the Atlanta Thrashers, both teams finished under 1 percent less than they were at mid-season.
Overall, the league drew finished 2.24 percent higher at the end of the season than where it stood at mid-season.
Even if you don’t really care about the “business side” of hockey, revenue obviously will have a big effect on the ice. For one thing, salary cap ceilings and minimums reflect how much the league makes. And -of course – the better a team does at the box office, the more money they’ll have to acquire stars.
Hey, maybe we’ll get a bunch of 7-game series so the NHL will make big bucks and “everyone” wins? (Except, you know, the teams who lose.)
(H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets vs. Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 1) 1
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 69
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 28
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 52
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 33
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (69)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (52)