Apr 19, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
The official announcement hasn’t been made just yet, but Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Russia’s famous Dynamo Moscow team will no longer exist.
It is now a fact: the oldest hockey club in Russia, Dynamo Moscow, does not exist anymore. The official announcement is coming in a few days.
Again, it’s not a guarantee (or at least hasn’t been announced) just yet. Sports Nation also carried the story.
HC Dynamo Moscow, the oldest hockey club in Russia, will announce in the coming days that they are merging with HC MVD, another Russian club, prior to next season. The news comes via Yahoo!’s Dimitry Chesnokov, a born-and-bred Dynamo fan.
According to Chesnokov, the two clubs will merge to form a new club during the offseason. There’s no word on what the new club will be called or to what extent Dynamo’s 64 year history will carry over. All that’s known now is that it’s happening, much to the dismay of the Russian hockey world
The still-unclear fallout is frustrating mlive’s George Malik, who is trying to find out if the team’s probable dissolution could mean a return of former Detroit Red Wings’ winger Jiri Hudler.
I turned over as many foreign-language rocks as I could after surveying the North American press in an attempt to find outside confirmation, but no other major website has even posited a report regarding Hudler’s potential return, save iDnes.cz’s Thomas Belonozik, who at least summarized the weekend’s reports.
The Red Wings and their fans are essentially operating on the assumption that Hudler will return because 1) Dynamo really is essentially dissolving and merging with HK MVD because GM Mikhail Golovkov’s exit = complete loss of corporate sponsorship; and 2) Chesnokov’s credentials are impeccable.
By those accounts, it seems like the historic Russian hockey club is to fold. Some of hockey’s biggest names played for the team – including Alex Ovechkin and Sergei Gonchar – so it would be a sad day for Russian fans, hockey fans in general and the KHL in particular if the team indeed dissolves as Chesnokov reports.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)