Apr 19, 2010, 4:40 PM EST
The official announcement hasn’t been made just yet, but Puck Daddy’s Dmitry Chesnokov reports that Russia’s famous Dynamo Moscow team will no longer exist.
It is now a fact: the oldest hockey club in Russia, Dynamo Moscow, does not exist anymore. The official announcement is coming in a few days.
Again, it’s not a guarantee (or at least hasn’t been announced) just yet. Sports Nation also carried the story.
HC Dynamo Moscow, the oldest hockey club in Russia, will announce in the coming days that they are merging with HC MVD, another Russian club, prior to next season. The news comes via Yahoo!’s Dimitry Chesnokov, a born-and-bred Dynamo fan.
According to Chesnokov, the two clubs will merge to form a new club during the offseason. There’s no word on what the new club will be called or to what extent Dynamo’s 64 year history will carry over. All that’s known now is that it’s happening, much to the dismay of the Russian hockey world
The still-unclear fallout is frustrating mlive’s George Malik, who is trying to find out if the team’s probable dissolution could mean a return of former Detroit Red Wings’ winger Jiri Hudler.
I turned over as many foreign-language rocks as I could after surveying the North American press in an attempt to find outside confirmation, but no other major website has even posited a report regarding Hudler’s potential return, save iDnes.cz’s Thomas Belonozik, who at least summarized the weekend’s reports.
The Red Wings and their fans are essentially operating on the assumption that Hudler will return because 1) Dynamo really is essentially dissolving and merging with HK MVD because GM Mikhail Golovkov’s exit = complete loss of corporate sponsorship; and 2) Chesnokov’s credentials are impeccable.
By those accounts, it seems like the historic Russian hockey club is to fold. Some of hockey’s biggest names played for the team – including Alex Ovechkin and Sergei Gonchar – so it would be a sad day for Russian fans, hockey fans in general and the KHL in particular if the team indeed dissolves as Chesnokov reports.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 43
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 66
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 14
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 73
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)