Apr 19, 2010, 2:10 PM EST
There are worse people you can imitate than Washington Capitals owner Ted Leonsis (pictured to the right). After all, he’s super-rich and an owner known for being media savvy (he has a blog!). So perhaps it shouldn’t be that surprising that someone decided to do just that; Marty Siegel pretended to be the owner during a recent Capitals game and fans just couldn’t help but fall over themselves to take pictures with the pseudo-owner. Dan Steinberg of DC Sports Blog has the bizarre story.
Marty Siegel, of course, is not technically Ted Leonsis, but he’s got more than enough hockey cred. He’s an original Caps season ticket holder, and has stories of sneaking his son into the Cap Centre on his shoulders. He still skates, running an old-timers team in Ashburn. His sons play hockey, too. At 64, he’s 11 years older than Leonsis, but his sons are always telling him how much he looks like the owner.
So he promised them that for this playoff run, he’d grow out the goatee, put on some red, and make a real go of it, calling himself Fred Leonsis if anyone asked. The night started at a local watering hole, where fans were all over him, thanking him for delivering a rare bit of sporting excellence to our win-starved little hamlet. And it continued inside the arena, where he eventually stopped walking and just stood in front of an entrance, soaking in the adulation.
“They have no idea,” Evan shouted into his cellphone a few feet from his dad. “They think it’s him. I’m not exaggerating.”
Apparently Leonsis-imitation isn’t just a sincere form of flattery, though, it’s also an unoriginal ode. Of course, Siegel can at least say that his likeness was a lot closer to the … other one.
Will the “real” Leonsis (featured in this story’s photo, you can see fake Leonsis here) please stand up? I’ll leave you with a response from the genuine Ted Leonsis – not “Fred” – from his blog Ted’s Take.
Not sure how I am supposed to react so I won’t other than to say, please email him after the loss last night. He was responsible for this rebuild and for the poor playoff performance and he deserves all of the angst and rage. Thank you.
(H/T to Deadspin.)
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 20
- Mike Richards clears waivers 27
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 13
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 53
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)