Apr 19, 2010, 1:20 PM EST
Brandon covered the essential bases of that Shakespearean tragedy of a Sharks-Avalanche last night. He did well to mention the horrific Dan Boyle mistake*, Craig Anderson’s masterful 51-save performance and include highlights of the game. Still, I cannot help but weigh in a bit and then provide some reactions via Sharks fans and bloggers.
Before the series even started, I asked a simple question: instead of being chokers, are the San Jose Sharks just really unlucky? Boy, has that ever come to pass. I don’t care how snarky you attempt to be, there’s no way you’re going to tell me that losing a game in which you out-shoot the other team 51 to 16 constitutes a “choke job.” In the last two years, the Sharks have run into hot goalies in Jonas Hiller and Craig Anderson. They’re creating chances and playing good defense. They just cannot get a break.
So, yeah, I feel for Sharks fans and the team itself. Here’s a quick gallery of reactions from the game; some are from blogs and some are from Twitter. Check them out after the jump.
Earl Sleek (Battle of California’s Anaheim Ducks blogger) made this rather harsh but brilliant point in the post-game thread.
Just to make sure I have this straight.
Rob Blake scores one past Nabby in G1.
M.E. Vlasic scores one past Nabby in G2.
Dan Boyle scores one past Nabby in G3.
I guess my money is on Huskins for G4. Place your bets now.
Fear the Fin’s Mr. Plank had this (appropriately) melodramatic reaction.
Forces beyond San Jose’s control have descended, coyly manipulating the direction of pucks, pushing bounces one way or the other. The official box scores, written by mortal men and women across the United States, will tell you Chris Stewart and Ryan O’Reilly have had a pair game-winning goals between them.
A demon from the depths of darkness will cackle maniacally and know that this is not the case.
Let’s just combine the world’s two biggest meltdowns and call them the San Jose Canseco Sharks
PuckTales artist and CouchTart Gray wrote this on Twitter: “I suppose it could be worse, Sharks fans. We could be Cubs fans.”
Gray wrote another sad but interesting Tweet.
We have to be cursed. There’s just no other way to make sense of it. Why us/ Why not like, uhm….those guys over there?!
Here’s two Tweets from schtimpy27.
@HockeyJoeGM “It’s just demoralizing. We’re a laughing stock. Again. It’s beyond old.”
@CouchTarts and this guarantees that for how many more years. I’m used to the failure, but need they do it so spectacularly?
Finally, mymclife from Fools and Sages wraps it all up.
It’s official. The Sharks are cursed.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)