Apr 18, 2010, 11:40 AM EDT
Brian Boucher has been a nice story in this year’s playoffs so far, but it doesn’t camouflage the fact that the Philadelphia Flyers need stability – or really, credibility – in net. Too many years they’ve allowed their goalie position to be an Unsolved Mystery. Far too many times I’m able to trot out my “Philadelphia is to NHL goalies what Chicago is to NFL quarterbacks” line. Something should be done.
Jim Matheson of the Edmonton Journal discussed the idea that the Flyers might trade Simon Gagne (of a goalie-convenient cap hit of $5.25 million) or Claude Giroux for one of the netminders that look ready to put on a new uniform. (H/T to Kukla’s Korner.)
The Philadelphia Flyers are in the driver’s seat for a high-end goalie for next season because Florida (Tomas Vokoun), Boston (Tim Thomas) and Montreal (Jaroslav Halak or Carey Price) are probably looking to move one. I still think Simon Gagne is Philly’s best bargaining chip to use on the Bruins, who are into winning now, and certainly on the Canadiens, who are always looking for a French-Canadian forward. Florida is looking to get younger and probably would want Claude Giroux instead.
Matheson’s story was full of speculation, so there’s no proof (yet) that there is any fire to accompany the smoke. Still, I thought it might be fun to run a little exercise to ask: why or why won’t this goalie wear a Flyers uniform next year? Check them out after the jump.
Boston’s Tim Thomas
Why: If it were to be Gagne, the two cap hits are within $.25 million of each other. Boston gets a scoring winger and gets rid of a goalie who is currently backing up Tuukka Rask. The Flyers get a former Vezina-winner.
Why not: The Bruins already have a star whose career was marred by head injuries in Patrice Bergeron. The Flyers might not want to make a long-term commitment to an old goalie with a big contract, especially since they’re already going to get slapped with a +35 headache with Chris Pronger.
Florida’s Tomas Vokoun
Why: Vokoun is one of the league’s most underrated goalies. Plus, I’ve joked before that the Flyers almost seem like “Nashville East” so this would make plenty of sense (Vokoun was once the Predators’ goalie). The Panthers would receive Claude Giroux in this scenario, which would be a great find.
Why not: The dissent might mainly be on Florida’s end, as they have allowed stars to go for very little in return. If it’s not Giroux, I don’t see why the Panthers would do it. That might be too big a price for Philadelphia’s liking, since they clearly don’t invest much in net.
Montreal’s Carey Price or Jaroslav Halak
Why: They’re both goalies with solid pedigrees. Simon Gagne is French-Canadian.
Why not: The Habs already have enough light-hitting forwards. Who’s to say that Price or Halak are worth the commitment, especially since Montreal hasn’t committed to either one?
Free Agents: Marty Turco, Evgeni Nabokov
Why: They are big names.
Why not: They come with big headaches.
Restricted free agents: Antti Niemi, Kari Lehtonen
Why: Even though they’re restricted, teams might take the picks they’d get as compensation. Niemi and Lehtonen have shown flashes of brilliance.
Why not: Neither one exactly lit the world on fire, either.
So, who do you think will be the Flyers goalie du jour next year? Will they finally get a legitimate No. 1 or will this sad little netminding carousel continue?
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)