Apr 18, 2010, 6:20 PM EDT
I don’t know if it’s a speed disadvantage, an afternoon of sleepy defense or some other malady, but any pretense of Phoenix not belonging with the Red Wings can be dropped. They took a 2-1 lead in the series and regained home ice advantage as well.
Both Ilya Bryzgalov and Jimmy Howard made 29 saves in the game, although Howard might hear a little bit more about his performance since Cup-winning goalie Chris Osgood is his big-named backup. Is that fair? Not really, but how often are goalie controversies steeped in logic rather than desperation?
Petr Prucha and Radim Vrbata each had a goal and an assist in the game while Wojtek Wolski added a nice backhand goal for the Coyotes. Valtteri Filppula and Johan Franzen scored a goal each for the Red Wings. Detroit must now win three out of four games against a hungry Coyotes team.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)