Apr 17, 2010, 12:30 PM EST
NBC’s first playoff game of 2010 starts live at 1:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. We’re very excited to provide extended coverage for Game 2 of the Boston Bruins-Buffalo Sabres first round series for you here to today. Let’s take a look at what newspapers, bloggers and other assorted individuals are saying about this afternoon’s game.
What Boston bloggers and newspapers are saying
Stanley Cup of Chowder has a great preview of the game that includes an injury report, possible line combinations and this interesting tidbit. (Evan also points out that the officiating might, um, lean toward Buffalo.)
- Tuukka Rask is 4-1-0 lifetime vs. Buffalo with a 1.43 GAA and a .954 save percentage.
- Ryan Miller is 16-5-6 lifetime vs. Boston with a 2.53 GAA and a .914 save percentage.
The Bruins’ lack of offensive punch was the focus of a big chunk of the Boston Globe’s coverage. Their beat writer Fluto Shinzawa covered the subject here while the Associated Press had an interesting piece on their lack of scoring as well. NBC contributor Kevin Paul Dupont predicted that this series would be a grind.
For comic relief, here’s the story of the Bruins fleecing the Toronto Maple Leafs in a “once-in-a-generation” deal to get Tuukka Rask. Sorry, Mr. Shinzawa, but the Leafs seem to make a bad trade once per season, not once per generation.
Finally, Patrick Kaleta is ruffling some feathers in Boston but here are some other Sabres to watch (according to the Globe).
What the Buffalo bloggers and newspaper are saying
Die by the Blade has a great collection of Buffalo Sabres-related links. One of the pieces that standout is this story, which covers the fact that the Sabres might not have even scouted Ryan Miller. Wow.
More on Patrick Kaleta from the Buffalo News.
Jerry Sullivan discusses the fact that Zdeno Chara embraces the role of a villain, despite the fact that he never wears a rob on his way to ice nor does he have a habit of saying “To be the man, you have to beat the man!”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (183)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)