Apr 17, 2010, 5:40 PM EST
Every now and then, Pro Hockey Talk will ask for insight from some of the best team bloggers out there. For this feature, we asked a simple question: “Who is your team’s most frustrating player?” Just for fun, I decided to throw my guess in the hat, too.
First, here is my guess for the St. Louis Blues.
Paul Kariya – I wrote a piece about him being an “under the radar underachiever” because he’s an unproductive player making $6 million per year. Sure, he probably won’t be a member of the Blues next year, but for now he’s their most frustrating player.
For the St. Louis Blues perspective, I asked Brad Lee from St. Louis Game Time. Make sure to check them out for all your Erik Johnson loving needs.
Brad Boyes was a 40-goal scorer two seasons ago. Brad Boyes was a 30-goal scorer one season ago. Brad Boyes is now a 13-goal scorer this season. His shooting percentage has fallen from 20 percent to 15 percent to seven percent, but that doesn’t tell the full story. Because of his penchant for shooting high and wide this year, Boyes has over-compensated with trying to increase his accuracy. To do that, he’s taken velocity off his shot and instead of a hard effort that’s hard to control, he’s got a softer shot that goalies are seeing much easier.
Boyes has a history of showing potential and then not totally realizing it. That’s how Toronto gave up on him after drafting him 24th overall. Then he went to Boston and had a great rookie year but struggled in his second campaign and got traded on deadline day for a young European center with an eye injury in defenseman Dennis Wideman. We used to think the Blues got the best of that deal. That was, until Boyes became a 13-goal scorer.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 20
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 33
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 15
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 29
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 11
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 48
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 44
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 16
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 64
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 45
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (168)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)