Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Jose Theodore lasted just 7:58 in the first period tonight against
the Canadiens, after allowing two goals on the first two shots he faced.
Bruce Boudreau, seeing his team outplaying the Habs but facing an early
2-0 deficit, turned to backup Semyon Varlamov to stop the bleeding.
This was reminiscent of last season’s first round series against the
Rangers, when Theodore never even made it to the second game of the
There is some good news for the Capitals, as Alex Ovechkin
exploded out of the gates early and showed that he certainly has the
ability to ‘turn it on’, with an incredible opening shift.
Unfortunately, his great start was nullified by a soft goal by Theodore,
but with Ovechkin getting two shots on goal and seven hits (SEVEN!!) in
the first period it’s safe to say that he could be back on his game.
the Capitals played a better opening period than the Canadiens yet once
again some brilliance by Jaroslav Halak in net has kept the Habs’ heads
above water. How both teams respond in the 2nd period will be the key,
as this was nearly the same story last game. Yet the Canadiens played
stronger as the game progressed; can the Capitals keep this pressure
going for 60 minutes?
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 3
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 10
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 73
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (76)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)