Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Jose Theodore lasted just 7:58 in the first period tonight against
the Canadiens, after allowing two goals on the first two shots he faced.
Bruce Boudreau, seeing his team outplaying the Habs but facing an early
2-0 deficit, turned to backup Semyon Varlamov to stop the bleeding.
This was reminiscent of last season’s first round series against the
Rangers, when Theodore never even made it to the second game of the
There is some good news for the Capitals, as Alex Ovechkin
exploded out of the gates early and showed that he certainly has the
ability to ‘turn it on’, with an incredible opening shift.
Unfortunately, his great start was nullified by a soft goal by Theodore,
but with Ovechkin getting two shots on goal and seven hits (SEVEN!!) in
the first period it’s safe to say that he could be back on his game.
the Capitals played a better opening period than the Canadiens yet once
again some brilliance by Jaroslav Halak in net has kept the Habs’ heads
above water. How both teams respond in the 2nd period will be the key,
as this was nearly the same story last game. Yet the Canadiens played
stronger as the game progressed; can the Capitals keep this pressure
going for 60 minutes?
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 2
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 8
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)