Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Jose Theodore lasted just 7:58 in the first period tonight against
the Canadiens, after allowing two goals on the first two shots he faced.
Bruce Boudreau, seeing his team outplaying the Habs but facing an early
2-0 deficit, turned to backup Semyon Varlamov to stop the bleeding.
This was reminiscent of last season’s first round series against the
Rangers, when Theodore never even made it to the second game of the
There is some good news for the Capitals, as Alex Ovechkin
exploded out of the gates early and showed that he certainly has the
ability to ‘turn it on’, with an incredible opening shift.
Unfortunately, his great start was nullified by a soft goal by Theodore,
but with Ovechkin getting two shots on goal and seven hits (SEVEN!!) in
the first period it’s safe to say that he could be back on his game.
the Capitals played a better opening period than the Canadiens yet once
again some brilliance by Jaroslav Halak in net has kept the Habs’ heads
above water. How both teams respond in the 2nd period will be the key,
as this was nearly the same story last game. Yet the Canadiens played
stronger as the game progressed; can the Capitals keep this pressure
going for 60 minutes?
- Armstrong: ‘Let’s live to fight another day’ 0
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 17
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 8
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 39
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 38
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)