Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Jose Theodore lasted just 7:58 in the first period tonight against
the Canadiens, after allowing two goals on the first two shots he faced.
Bruce Boudreau, seeing his team outplaying the Habs but facing an early
2-0 deficit, turned to backup Semyon Varlamov to stop the bleeding.
This was reminiscent of last season’s first round series against the
Rangers, when Theodore never even made it to the second game of the
There is some good news for the Capitals, as Alex Ovechkin
exploded out of the gates early and showed that he certainly has the
ability to ‘turn it on’, with an incredible opening shift.
Unfortunately, his great start was nullified by a soft goal by Theodore,
but with Ovechkin getting two shots on goal and seven hits (SEVEN!!) in
the first period it’s safe to say that he could be back on his game.
the Capitals played a better opening period than the Canadiens yet once
again some brilliance by Jaroslav Halak in net has kept the Habs’ heads
above water. How both teams respond in the 2nd period will be the key,
as this was nearly the same story last game. Yet the Canadiens played
stronger as the game progressed; can the Capitals keep this pressure
going for 60 minutes?
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)