Apr 17, 2010, 7:52 PM EDT
Jose Theodore lasted just 7:58 in the first period tonight against
the Canadiens, after allowing two goals on the first two shots he faced.
Bruce Boudreau, seeing his team outplaying the Habs but facing an early
2-0 deficit, turned to backup Semyon Varlamov to stop the bleeding.
This was reminiscent of last season’s first round series against the
Rangers, when Theodore never even made it to the second game of the
There is some good news for the Capitals, as Alex Ovechkin
exploded out of the gates early and showed that he certainly has the
ability to ‘turn it on’, with an incredible opening shift.
Unfortunately, his great start was nullified by a soft goal by Theodore,
but with Ovechkin getting two shots on goal and seven hits (SEVEN!!) in
the first period it’s safe to say that he could be back on his game.
the Capitals played a better opening period than the Canadiens yet once
again some brilliance by Jaroslav Halak in net has kept the Habs’ heads
above water. How both teams respond in the 2nd period will be the key,
as this was nearly the same story last game. Yet the Canadiens played
stronger as the game progressed; can the Capitals keep this pressure
going for 60 minutes?
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)