Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 AM EDT
If there’s one defenseman in the NHL who can identify with literally
towering over the competition, it’s the 6-foot-9 Zdeno Chara. So of
course he’s going to be asked about the large defenseman on the other
side of the ice from him in the first round series against the Sabres.
of course Chara, who wasn’t exactly known for this skating ability when
he first came to the NHL, would
focus on just how great Tyler Myers looks on the ice.
his age, I was nowhere near his performance. I probably got better
later on. For a guy being a first-year guy to earn a spot on the team
and doing so well, that’s impressive.”
that skating was never a problem for him, but that he has certainly used
Chara as a measuring tool for how to approach the game over the past
few years. While the two players are certainly similar in their
extraordinary height and skill on the ice, they are two very different
players. Chara is not only tall, but stocky as well, the largest player
in the NHL.
Myers, while tall and with a long reach, is just
lanky. In fact, it’s amazing he has the skating skill and balance that
he does, without just being toppled over by stronger players. Myers also
claims that Chara is meaner than him, although Johnny Boychuk of the
Bruins may have something to say about that.
Turns out Myers laid
into Boychuck with a bit of late hit to the head last night, that
left him a bit woozy.
“Didn’t see him coming, and
I didn’t have the puck,” said Boychuk, who
was slow to get up after the hit. “Shot to the head, side of the jaw.”
so innocent now, are we?
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)