Apr 16, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
If the Vancouver Canucks have aspirations of going any deeper in the
playoffs than the second round, they’ll need Roberto Luongo to be just a
bit more consistent. He has the ability to be an elite goaltender, and
is routinely considered one of the top netminders in the NHL. Yet there
are times when he falls apart mentally, forgets his mechanics and
positioning and is wholly beatable.
Last night, as
Jason Botchford of The Province writes, Luongo finally looked a bit
like the goaltender the Canucks will need him to be. After his big save
in overtime, it seems that Luongo may be feeling it as well.
“Quick had just made one on the 2-on-1 with Henk,” Luongo said.
“After I made the first save on Smitty, the puck jumped and hit their
guy in the leg. As it was coming back, I knew I got a piece of it. But I
felt I didn’t get the whole thing.
“I was able to swing back and
swipe it away. It was just a reaction. It just came naturally, to react
“The OT was the best I felt all game.”
Luongo came out of the Olympic break with a gold medal around his neck
and some messed up mechanics in net. He wasn’t confident, he wasn’t
making the big save and he was entirely mediocre. In fact, he wasn’ very
good at all.
Despite a 9-5-1 record after the Olympics, Luongo was yanked twice
after allowing an atrocious amount of bad goals and in those 15 games
had a very, very poor save percentage of .871.
Watching the game last night, he looked just as uncomfortable in the
the first two periods and truly didn’t start to settle down until
Will that confidence carry over for the rest of the playoffs? The
Canucks sure hope so.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)