Apr 16, 2010, 3:32 PM EDT
It seems that perhaps claims of empty seats and quiet Devils fans
weren’t exactly unfounded. While having blogger Travis Hughes claim so
is one thing (although I must note that Travis has as much integrity as
any print journalist working), when it’s harped upon by a ‘legitimate’
hockey columnist it carries a bit more weight.
As someone who sits in the building
for these Flyers-Devils games, I
think I can speak on this subject with some authority.
atmosphere at the Rock stinks.
It’s depressing, for the sport of
hockey, to have a playoff game with a bevy of unoccupied seats.
words, but as we noted earlier today there’s truth behind them. For
those of us watching on television, there certainly seemed to be a lack
of atmosphere in the Prudential Center, and the Devils played like a
team that was just as unmotivated as the fans.
Perhaps its the
high expectations that fans have for the team, or the disappointing
first round exits the past few seasons. Whatever the case, the Devils
need to find some way to be inspired; it doesn’t look like the fans will
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 0
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 7
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 59
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 36
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 (60)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)