Apr 16, 2010, 8:54 PM EST
Marty Turco has accepted that he’s going to be playing for someone else next year and he’s coming to terms with what that means. Stars’ beat writer Mike Heika caught up with Turco and offers an outstanding perspective on the soon-to-be former Stars goaltender.
Turco saw his share of ups and downs in his career with the Stars. From the high of 2008 and reaching the Western Conference Finals to the lows of the past two seasons with the Stars finishing out of the playoffs, blame for which has fallen at his feet but he has no regrets.
“I can look at myself in the mirror and know I gave everything for this team and did everything I could to perform at my best,” he said. “I don’t feel there has been any slippage or anything like that. A couple of years ago, I thought I might be winding down by the time I was 35 or 36, but with improvements in training techniques and just more knowledge about conditioning, I feel better than I did a couple of years ago. I really see no reason why I can’t do this for four or five more years. Am I worried about my ability? No, not at all.”
For Turco, his career is likely headed to a contending team next season, be it the much rumored Flyers, whom rumors ran strong for him to be headed there at the trade deadline, or a sleeper pursuant like the Capitals should they not seek to re-sign Jose Theodore. As for the Stars, they appear to be already set to move forward in goal after acquiring former first-round pick goaltender Kari Lehtonen from the Atlanta Thrashers at the trade deadline.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 34
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 9
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28