Apr 16, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It wasn’t easy by any means, but the effort level from the Pittsburgh Penguins made it seem easy that they would knock off the Ottawa Senators tonight. Brian Elliott had a hand in making things difficult for the Penguins, but Kris Letang’s shot from the blue line with help from a spectacular effort by Sidney Crosby helped ensure victory for the Penguins over Ottawa 2-1.
Crosby’s whirling, spinning puck control will be something Sens forward Jason Spezza will see in his nightmares as it was The Kid’s effort to help maintain control for the Penguins to help set up Letang’s snipe. It was also Crosby’s help on his own goal line, preventing Ottawa from taking a 2-1 lead earlier in the period, that helped secure the win for the Pens. For the Senators it’s a game that started off great, scoring just 18 seconds into the tilt but that’s all they would manage the rest of the night as the Penguins defense clamped down on the Senators keeping their good offensive chances to a minimum.
The game wasn’t without it’s controversy as Pens defenseman Jordan Leopold was taken out on a vicious, but clean, bodycheck by Sens defenseman Andy Sutton. Leopold was hit with his head down cutting through the neutral zone as Sutton took advantage of the situation by sending Leopold down to the ice and out of the game.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)