Apr 16, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It wasn’t easy by any means, but the effort level from the Pittsburgh Penguins made it seem easy that they would knock off the Ottawa Senators tonight. Brian Elliott had a hand in making things difficult for the Penguins, but Kris Letang’s shot from the blue line with help from a spectacular effort by Sidney Crosby helped ensure victory for the Penguins over Ottawa 2-1.
Crosby’s whirling, spinning puck control will be something Sens forward Jason Spezza will see in his nightmares as it was The Kid’s effort to help maintain control for the Penguins to help set up Letang’s snipe. It was also Crosby’s help on his own goal line, preventing Ottawa from taking a 2-1 lead earlier in the period, that helped secure the win for the Pens. For the Senators it’s a game that started off great, scoring just 18 seconds into the tilt but that’s all they would manage the rest of the night as the Penguins defense clamped down on the Senators keeping their good offensive chances to a minimum.
The game wasn’t without it’s controversy as Pens defenseman Jordan Leopold was taken out on a vicious, but clean, bodycheck by Sens defenseman Andy Sutton. Leopold was hit with his head down cutting through the neutral zone as Sutton took advantage of the situation by sending Leopold down to the ice and out of the game.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 0
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 11
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 18
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 13
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 7
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)