Apr 16, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It wasn’t easy by any means, but the effort level from the Pittsburgh Penguins made it seem easy that they would knock off the Ottawa Senators tonight. Brian Elliott had a hand in making things difficult for the Penguins, but Kris Letang’s shot from the blue line with help from a spectacular effort by Sidney Crosby helped ensure victory for the Penguins over Ottawa 2-1.
Crosby’s whirling, spinning puck control will be something Sens forward Jason Spezza will see in his nightmares as it was The Kid’s effort to help maintain control for the Penguins to help set up Letang’s snipe. It was also Crosby’s help on his own goal line, preventing Ottawa from taking a 2-1 lead earlier in the period, that helped secure the win for the Pens. For the Senators it’s a game that started off great, scoring just 18 seconds into the tilt but that’s all they would manage the rest of the night as the Penguins defense clamped down on the Senators keeping their good offensive chances to a minimum.
The game wasn’t without it’s controversy as Pens defenseman Jordan Leopold was taken out on a vicious, but clean, bodycheck by Sens defenseman Andy Sutton. Leopold was hit with his head down cutting through the neutral zone as Sutton took advantage of the situation by sending Leopold down to the ice and out of the game.
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 17
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 32
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 25
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 30
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)