Apr 16, 2010, 9:40 PM EDT
It wasn’t easy by any means, but the effort level from the Pittsburgh Penguins made it seem easy that they would knock off the Ottawa Senators tonight. Brian Elliott had a hand in making things difficult for the Penguins, but Kris Letang’s shot from the blue line with help from a spectacular effort by Sidney Crosby helped ensure victory for the Penguins over Ottawa 2-1.
Crosby’s whirling, spinning puck control will be something Sens forward Jason Spezza will see in his nightmares as it was The Kid’s effort to help maintain control for the Penguins to help set up Letang’s snipe. It was also Crosby’s help on his own goal line, preventing Ottawa from taking a 2-1 lead earlier in the period, that helped secure the win for the Pens. For the Senators it’s a game that started off great, scoring just 18 seconds into the tilt but that’s all they would manage the rest of the night as the Penguins defense clamped down on the Senators keeping their good offensive chances to a minimum.
The game wasn’t without it’s controversy as Pens defenseman Jordan Leopold was taken out on a vicious, but clean, bodycheck by Sens defenseman Andy Sutton. Leopold was hit with his head down cutting through the neutral zone as Sutton took advantage of the situation by sending Leopold down to the ice and out of the game.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)