Apr 16, 2010, 11:53 PM EDT
So someone told you that firewagon hockey died in the 1990s when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings, right? You can tell that person they’re a dirty liar for at least a night as the Red Wings and Coyotes are staging their own revival of sorts in the desert.
Phoenix took a 1-0 lead into the second period only to lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it back and lose it again in a raucous wide-open affair thanks to goals from Henrik Zetterberg to make it 1-1, Wojtek Wolski to make it 2-1 Phoenix. Pavel Datsyuk scored to tie the game at 2-2 only to see Matthew Lombardi blow past defenseman Brian Rafalski to put Phoenix up 3-2. Valterri Filppula would then snipe a backhand through Ilya Bryzgalov’s five-hole to tie the game at 3-3.
The pace is frenetic, the goaltenders are frustrated, and the teams are trading punches with so little regard to defense you’d think you were watching a fight from any Rocky movie ever made. Late night fans are getting rewarded big time.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)