Apr 16, 2010, 11:53 PM EST
So someone told you that firewagon hockey died in the 1990s when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings, right? You can tell that person they’re a dirty liar for at least a night as the Red Wings and Coyotes are staging their own revival of sorts in the desert.
Phoenix took a 1-0 lead into the second period only to lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it back and lose it again in a raucous wide-open affair thanks to goals from Henrik Zetterberg to make it 1-1, Wojtek Wolski to make it 2-1 Phoenix. Pavel Datsyuk scored to tie the game at 2-2 only to see Matthew Lombardi blow past defenseman Brian Rafalski to put Phoenix up 3-2. Valterri Filppula would then snipe a backhand through Ilya Bryzgalov’s five-hole to tie the game at 3-3.
The pace is frenetic, the goaltenders are frustrated, and the teams are trading punches with so little regard to defense you’d think you were watching a fight from any Rocky movie ever made. Late night fans are getting rewarded big time.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)