Apr 16, 2010, 11:53 PM EST
So someone told you that firewagon hockey died in the 1990s when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings, right? You can tell that person they’re a dirty liar for at least a night as the Red Wings and Coyotes are staging their own revival of sorts in the desert.
Phoenix took a 1-0 lead into the second period only to lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it back and lose it again in a raucous wide-open affair thanks to goals from Henrik Zetterberg to make it 1-1, Wojtek Wolski to make it 2-1 Phoenix. Pavel Datsyuk scored to tie the game at 2-2 only to see Matthew Lombardi blow past defenseman Brian Rafalski to put Phoenix up 3-2. Valterri Filppula would then snipe a backhand through Ilya Bryzgalov’s five-hole to tie the game at 3-3.
The pace is frenetic, the goaltenders are frustrated, and the teams are trading punches with so little regard to defense you’d think you were watching a fight from any Rocky movie ever made. Late night fans are getting rewarded big time.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 8
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 100
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (103)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)