Apr 16, 2010, 11:53 PM EDT
So someone told you that firewagon hockey died in the 1990s when Wayne Gretzky was traded to the Kings, right? You can tell that person they’re a dirty liar for at least a night as the Red Wings and Coyotes are staging their own revival of sorts in the desert.
Phoenix took a 1-0 lead into the second period only to lose it, gain it, lose it, gain it back and lose it again in a raucous wide-open affair thanks to goals from Henrik Zetterberg to make it 1-1, Wojtek Wolski to make it 2-1 Phoenix. Pavel Datsyuk scored to tie the game at 2-2 only to see Matthew Lombardi blow past defenseman Brian Rafalski to put Phoenix up 3-2. Valterri Filppula would then snipe a backhand through Ilya Bryzgalov’s five-hole to tie the game at 3-3.
The pace is frenetic, the goaltenders are frustrated, and the teams are trading punches with so little regard to defense you’d think you were watching a fight from any Rocky movie ever made. Late night fans are getting rewarded big time.
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 4
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 58
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 58
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)