Apr 16, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
It’s becoming a night of equalizers as the Devils were able to bounce back after a tough-going effort in Game 1 against the Flyers to knot the series up at 1-1 after knocking off the Flyers 5-3 thanks to the efforts of Zach Parise and Dainius Zubrus.
Parise got the shot away and it was Zubrus who got a stick on it to help tip it past Flyers goaltender Brian Boucher (28 saves) to put New Jersey up to stay with 4:04 left in the third period. Ilya Kovalchuk would score the empty net goal to provide the final outcome. For Kovalchuk, it’s his first win in the playoffs after going out in four straight as a member of the Thrashers against the Rangers in 2007 and the Devils Game 1 loss this year.
Devils goalie Martin Brodeur stopped 26 shots in earning the victory. Game 3 will be Sunday at 6 pm in Philadelphia.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 0
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 9
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 6
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 20
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 27
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 37
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)