Apr 16, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
It’s becoming a night of equalizers as the Devils were able to bounce back after a tough-going effort in Game 1 against the Flyers to knot the series up at 1-1 after knocking off the Flyers 5-3 thanks to the efforts of Zach Parise and Dainius Zubrus.
Parise got the shot away and it was Zubrus who got a stick on it to help tip it past Flyers goaltender Brian Boucher (28 saves) to put New Jersey up to stay with 4:04 left in the third period. Ilya Kovalchuk would score the empty net goal to provide the final outcome. For Kovalchuk, it’s his first win in the playoffs after going out in four straight as a member of the Thrashers against the Rangers in 2007 and the Devils Game 1 loss this year.
Devils goalie Martin Brodeur stopped 26 shots in earning the victory. Game 3 will be Sunday at 6 pm in Philadelphia.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 32
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 9
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (33)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)