Apr 16, 2010, 10:36 PM EDT
It’s becoming a night of equalizers as the Devils were able to bounce back after a tough-going effort in Game 1 against the Flyers to knot the series up at 1-1 after knocking off the Flyers 5-3 thanks to the efforts of Zach Parise and Dainius Zubrus.
Parise got the shot away and it was Zubrus who got a stick on it to help tip it past Flyers goaltender Brian Boucher (28 saves) to put New Jersey up to stay with 4:04 left in the third period. Ilya Kovalchuk would score the empty net goal to provide the final outcome. For Kovalchuk, it’s his first win in the playoffs after going out in four straight as a member of the Thrashers against the Rangers in 2007 and the Devils Game 1 loss this year.
Devils goalie Martin Brodeur stopped 26 shots in earning the victory. Game 3 will be Sunday at 6 pm in Philadelphia.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)