Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 PM EST
It wouldn’t be the opening round of the playoffs if all the underdogs, real or story book, in the West didn’t get their just desserts and the Nashville Predators made sure to get their helping of Game 1 ice cream after knocking off the Blackhawks courtesy of a great third period effort 4-1.
The final score will look dominating, but this was for all intents and purposes a one-goal win for the Predators as J.P. Dumont’s two third period goals put the Predators in front for good. Steve Sullivan and Martin Erat would add empty net goals to provide the final outcome, but the decision in this game may have been handed down after J.P. Dumont’s crazy, floating backhand found its way into the net to tie the game at 1-1. Chicago’s foot came off the gas pedal and Nashville would take advantage after that.
Pekka Rinne made 25 saves in the win, Antti Niemi stopped 22 out of 24 shots in the loss. Game 2 of the series will be Sunday at 8:30 pm ET from Chicago.
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 10
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 24
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 78
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)