Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be the opening round of the playoffs if all the underdogs, real or story book, in the West didn’t get their just desserts and the Nashville Predators made sure to get their helping of Game 1 ice cream after knocking off the Blackhawks courtesy of a great third period effort 4-1.
The final score will look dominating, but this was for all intents and purposes a one-goal win for the Predators as J.P. Dumont’s two third period goals put the Predators in front for good. Steve Sullivan and Martin Erat would add empty net goals to provide the final outcome, but the decision in this game may have been handed down after J.P. Dumont’s crazy, floating backhand found its way into the net to tie the game at 1-1. Chicago’s foot came off the gas pedal and Nashville would take advantage after that.
Pekka Rinne made 25 saves in the win, Antti Niemi stopped 22 out of 24 shots in the loss. Game 2 of the series will be Sunday at 8:30 pm ET from Chicago.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)