Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 PM EST
It wouldn’t be the opening round of the playoffs if all the underdogs, real or story book, in the West didn’t get their just desserts and the Nashville Predators made sure to get their helping of Game 1 ice cream after knocking off the Blackhawks courtesy of a great third period effort 4-1.
The final score will look dominating, but this was for all intents and purposes a one-goal win for the Predators as J.P. Dumont’s two third period goals put the Predators in front for good. Steve Sullivan and Martin Erat would add empty net goals to provide the final outcome, but the decision in this game may have been handed down after J.P. Dumont’s crazy, floating backhand found its way into the net to tie the game at 1-1. Chicago’s foot came off the gas pedal and Nashville would take advantage after that.
Pekka Rinne made 25 saves in the win, Antti Niemi stopped 22 out of 24 shots in the loss. Game 2 of the series will be Sunday at 8:30 pm ET from Chicago.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 0
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 74
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 2
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 20
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 30
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (76)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)