Apr 16, 2010, 11:05 PM EDT
It wouldn’t be the opening round of the playoffs if all the underdogs, real or story book, in the West didn’t get their just desserts and the Nashville Predators made sure to get their helping of Game 1 ice cream after knocking off the Blackhawks courtesy of a great third period effort 4-1.
The final score will look dominating, but this was for all intents and purposes a one-goal win for the Predators as J.P. Dumont’s two third period goals put the Predators in front for good. Steve Sullivan and Martin Erat would add empty net goals to provide the final outcome, but the decision in this game may have been handed down after J.P. Dumont’s crazy, floating backhand found its way into the net to tie the game at 1-1. Chicago’s foot came off the gas pedal and Nashville would take advantage after that.
Pekka Rinne made 25 saves in the win, Antti Niemi stopped 22 out of 24 shots in the loss. Game 2 of the series will be Sunday at 8:30 pm ET from Chicago.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)