Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
We sort of covered this earlier, but now thanks to some quotes coming out of Boston, it’s starting to get a little bit more run around the Internet. So now, we’ll pose the question to you: Was Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers’ hit on Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk a dirty hit? In case you missed it, here it is.
Boychuk was vocal in his displeasure with the hit.
“I didn’t see him coming, I didn’t have the puck and I felt like it was a shot to the head, I guess,” said Boychuk. “Then they called it the freakin’ hit of the night in the arena with the fans going crazy. He was coming right at my head.”
The Bruins, understandably so, are a bit sensitive to hits up high and while nothing came of the hit, that doesn’t generally mean it wasn’t questionable. Hits like this hang more on intent and you could say that Myers certainly wasn’t intending to take out Boychuk. Then again, sometimes things just happen.
“I was just playing the play hard,” he said. “I saw the scrum, and I thought he was digging for the puck. I just went to finish my check. I think it’s pretty safe to say my style is not to go in trying to hurt guys. I was just looking to finish my check.”
One man’s hockey hit is another man’s head shot. What are your thoughts?
- Devils fire DeBoer 4
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 1
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 7
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)