Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
We sort of covered this earlier, but now thanks to some quotes coming out of Boston, it’s starting to get a little bit more run around the Internet. So now, we’ll pose the question to you: Was Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers’ hit on Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk a dirty hit? In case you missed it, here it is.
Boychuk was vocal in his displeasure with the hit.
“I didn’t see him coming, I didn’t have the puck and I felt like it was a shot to the head, I guess,” said Boychuk. “Then they called it the freakin’ hit of the night in the arena with the fans going crazy. He was coming right at my head.”
The Bruins, understandably so, are a bit sensitive to hits up high and while nothing came of the hit, that doesn’t generally mean it wasn’t questionable. Hits like this hang more on intent and you could say that Myers certainly wasn’t intending to take out Boychuk. Then again, sometimes things just happen.
“I was just playing the play hard,” he said. “I saw the scrum, and I thought he was digging for the puck. I just went to finish my check. I think it’s pretty safe to say my style is not to go in trying to hurt guys. I was just looking to finish my check.”
One man’s hockey hit is another man’s head shot. What are your thoughts?
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 43
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)