Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
We sort of covered this earlier, but now thanks to some quotes coming out of Boston, it’s starting to get a little bit more run around the Internet. So now, we’ll pose the question to you: Was Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers’ hit on Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk a dirty hit? In case you missed it, here it is.
Boychuk was vocal in his displeasure with the hit.
“I didn’t see him coming, I didn’t have the puck and I felt like it was a shot to the head, I guess,” said Boychuk. “Then they called it the freakin’ hit of the night in the arena with the fans going crazy. He was coming right at my head.”
The Bruins, understandably so, are a bit sensitive to hits up high and while nothing came of the hit, that doesn’t generally mean it wasn’t questionable. Hits like this hang more on intent and you could say that Myers certainly wasn’t intending to take out Boychuk. Then again, sometimes things just happen.
“I was just playing the play hard,” he said. “I saw the scrum, and I thought he was digging for the puck. I just went to finish my check. I think it’s pretty safe to say my style is not to go in trying to hurt guys. I was just looking to finish my check.”
One man’s hockey hit is another man’s head shot. What are your thoughts?
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)