Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
We sort of covered this earlier, but now thanks to some quotes coming out of Boston, it’s starting to get a little bit more run around the Internet. So now, we’ll pose the question to you: Was Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers’ hit on Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk a dirty hit? In case you missed it, here it is.
Boychuk was vocal in his displeasure with the hit.
“I didn’t see him coming, I didn’t have the puck and I felt like it was a shot to the head, I guess,” said Boychuk. “Then they called it the freakin’ hit of the night in the arena with the fans going crazy. He was coming right at my head.”
The Bruins, understandably so, are a bit sensitive to hits up high and while nothing came of the hit, that doesn’t generally mean it wasn’t questionable. Hits like this hang more on intent and you could say that Myers certainly wasn’t intending to take out Boychuk. Then again, sometimes things just happen.
“I was just playing the play hard,” he said. “I saw the scrum, and I thought he was digging for the puck. I just went to finish my check. I think it’s pretty safe to say my style is not to go in trying to hurt guys. I was just looking to finish my check.”
One man’s hockey hit is another man’s head shot. What are your thoughts?
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)