Apr 16, 2010, 5:02 PM EST
We sort of covered this earlier, but now thanks to some quotes coming out of Boston, it’s starting to get a little bit more run around the Internet. So now, we’ll pose the question to you: Was Sabres defenseman Tyler Myers’ hit on Bruins defenseman Johnny Boychuk a dirty hit? In case you missed it, here it is.
Boychuk was vocal in his displeasure with the hit.
“I didn’t see him coming, I didn’t have the puck and I felt like it was a shot to the head, I guess,” said Boychuk. “Then they called it the freakin’ hit of the night in the arena with the fans going crazy. He was coming right at my head.”
The Bruins, understandably so, are a bit sensitive to hits up high and while nothing came of the hit, that doesn’t generally mean it wasn’t questionable. Hits like this hang more on intent and you could say that Myers certainly wasn’t intending to take out Boychuk. Then again, sometimes things just happen.
“I was just playing the play hard,” he said. “I saw the scrum, and I thought he was digging for the puck. I just went to finish my check. I think it’s pretty safe to say my style is not to go in trying to hurt guys. I was just looking to finish my check.”
One man’s hockey hit is another man’s head shot. What are your thoughts?
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)