Apr 16, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Ah yes, those pesky sports rumors and the trouble they cause.
Today, ESPN Insider posted an update to their NHL Rumor Central, with this headline:
“Tomas Holmstrom might be changing teams. Gasp!”
If that’s not headline baiting, then I don’t know what is. Unless you subscribe to their Insider access, you’d never know exactly where they got this information from. It’s just a rumor page, and there’s nothing here that is claiming anything to be more than that, but you can understand why Red Wings fans might react a bit violently to this ‘news’.
George Malik of MLive.com’s Snapshots blog called it the “worst rumor ever” and the response on Twitter amongst Red Wings was comical to say the least. It’s like someone suggested that the Detroit Red Wings move to Montana and become the Butte Ice Cowboys. How dare someone suggest that Holmstrom would change teams?
That’s exactly the response that sort of headline is designed to have, and it’s caused countless Wings fans to head on over to see what the big deal was all about.
In reality, ESPN get’s this ‘story’ from a Jeremy Rutherford chat held yesterday on STLToday.com, where he mentioned this:
I heard the scuttle-butt from Chris Kerber [Blues play by play] is that the Blues were
interested in Tomas Holmstrom as a possible Tkachuk replacement. The
Blues definitely need a big body next year.
A couple of things here to note. First of all, the Blues are not out of their minds for thinking about Tomas Holmstrom as a free agent target this summer. As much as Wings fans want to harp on the fact that Homer want’s to finish his career in Detroit and how Ken Holland has stated that they’ll work to get him back next season, things happen. He hasn’t signed an extension yet. It’s just planning on the Blues’ part. Wishful thinking.
So a simple headline on ESPN, and Red Wings fans nearly had a fit. I can’t blame them, really.
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 48
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 20
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32