Apr 16, 2010, 4:21 PM EST
If there’s one thing that really stood out about how the Phoenix
Coyotes ultimately handled the Red Wings, it was their physical play.
While some may question a number of the hits laid out by Shane Doan in
the contest — and there were a number of borderline hits — there’s no
doubting that after a shaky first period the Coyotes used some physical
intimidation to take control of the game.
Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun, the Coyotes are expecting the Red
Wings to dish it right back at them.
Coyotes know that there’s a good chance their opponent
will try to play the bully in Friday’s Game 2 of the Western Conference
And to that they say: “Bring it on.”
Malik isn’t expecting the Red Wings to go nuts on the ice, and I
have to agree.
Rob makes it out to sound like the Red Wings will be out for blood,
when in fact the team and the coach have harped on playing with more
intensity. There’s better ways to counter a physical team, and going toe
to toe and hit for hit isn’t exactly it. Sure, I’d expect the Red Wings
to play more physical, but that’s not the game they play.
The Red Wings need to play with more intensity, but to do so with a
much cleaner game with better execution and a more balanced attack. They
need more Pavel Datsyuk to look concerned in the third period.
Justin Abdelkader will take the ice tonight, perhaps he can help with that.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 20
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)