Apr 16, 2010, 4:21 PM EDT
If there’s one thing that really stood out about how the Phoenix
Coyotes ultimately handled the Red Wings, it was their physical play.
While some may question a number of the hits laid out by Shane Doan in
the contest — and there were a number of borderline hits — there’s no
doubting that after a shaky first period the Coyotes used some physical
intimidation to take control of the game.
Rob Longley of the Toronto Sun, the Coyotes are expecting the Red
Wings to dish it right back at them.
Coyotes know that there’s a good chance their opponent
will try to play the bully in Friday’s Game 2 of the Western Conference
And to that they say: “Bring it on.”
Malik isn’t expecting the Red Wings to go nuts on the ice, and I
have to agree.
Rob makes it out to sound like the Red Wings will be out for blood,
when in fact the team and the coach have harped on playing with more
intensity. There’s better ways to counter a physical team, and going toe
to toe and hit for hit isn’t exactly it. Sure, I’d expect the Red Wings
to play more physical, but that’s not the game they play.
The Red Wings need to play with more intensity, but to do so with a
much cleaner game with better execution and a more balanced attack. They
need more Pavel Datsyuk to look concerned in the third period.
Justin Abdelkader will take the ice tonight, perhaps he can help with that.
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 8
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 25
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)