Apr 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
As the hockey world shakes off the shock of the Montreal Canadiens’ upset of the Washington Capitals, there’s one game left for puckheads willing to go into work with some goalie creases under their eyes. The Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings wrestled to a 0-0 tie in the first period of their Game 1 match so far.
It’s been a couple days full of upsets, with both No.1 seeds (Washington and San Jose) falling while the two Stanley Cup Finalists also lost. (I know that some people are saying that Phoenix-Detroit wasn’t an upset, but from name recognition reasons/if you read this three months ago perspectives, it deserves at least partial upset credit.)
In a night of great goalie performances, Jonathan Quick continued that trend with 17 saves in the first period. The Kings have to feel good about how he’s playing right now, especially since there were some concerns that the young goalie might be wearing down.
Can Vancouver avoid the home ice disadvantage or will the young Kings be just another underdog to steal a Game 1? We’ll keep an eye on the last contest of Day 2 for you here at PHT.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)