Apr 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EST
As the hockey world shakes off the shock of the Montreal Canadiens’ upset of the Washington Capitals, there’s one game left for puckheads willing to go into work with some goalie creases under their eyes. The Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings wrestled to a 0-0 tie in the first period of their Game 1 match so far.
It’s been a couple days full of upsets, with both No.1 seeds (Washington and San Jose) falling while the two Stanley Cup Finalists also lost. (I know that some people are saying that Phoenix-Detroit wasn’t an upset, but from name recognition reasons/if you read this three months ago perspectives, it deserves at least partial upset credit.)
In a night of great goalie performances, Jonathan Quick continued that trend with 17 saves in the first period. The Kings have to feel good about how he’s playing right now, especially since there were some concerns that the young goalie might be wearing down.
Can Vancouver avoid the home ice disadvantage or will the young Kings be just another underdog to steal a Game 1? We’ll keep an eye on the last contest of Day 2 for you here at PHT.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 16
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)