Apr 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
As the hockey world shakes off the shock of the Montreal Canadiens’ upset of the Washington Capitals, there’s one game left for puckheads willing to go into work with some goalie creases under their eyes. The Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings wrestled to a 0-0 tie in the first period of their Game 1 match so far.
It’s been a couple days full of upsets, with both No.1 seeds (Washington and San Jose) falling while the two Stanley Cup Finalists also lost. (I know that some people are saying that Phoenix-Detroit wasn’t an upset, but from name recognition reasons/if you read this three months ago perspectives, it deserves at least partial upset credit.)
In a night of great goalie performances, Jonathan Quick continued that trend with 17 saves in the first period. The Kings have to feel good about how he’s playing right now, especially since there were some concerns that the young goalie might be wearing down.
Can Vancouver avoid the home ice disadvantage or will the young Kings be just another underdog to steal a Game 1? We’ll keep an eye on the last contest of Day 2 for you here at PHT.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)