Apr 15, 2010, 11:00 PM EDT
As the hockey world shakes off the shock of the Montreal Canadiens’ upset of the Washington Capitals, there’s one game left for puckheads willing to go into work with some goalie creases under their eyes. The Vancouver Canucks and Los Angeles Kings wrestled to a 0-0 tie in the first period of their Game 1 match so far.
It’s been a couple days full of upsets, with both No.1 seeds (Washington and San Jose) falling while the two Stanley Cup Finalists also lost. (I know that some people are saying that Phoenix-Detroit wasn’t an upset, but from name recognition reasons/if you read this three months ago perspectives, it deserves at least partial upset credit.)
In a night of great goalie performances, Jonathan Quick continued that trend with 17 saves in the first period. The Kings have to feel good about how he’s playing right now, especially since there were some concerns that the young goalie might be wearing down.
Can Vancouver avoid the home ice disadvantage or will the young Kings be just another underdog to steal a Game 1? We’ll keep an eye on the last contest of Day 2 for you here at PHT.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)