Apr 15, 2010, 10:25 PM EDT
“Tomas who? Jagr?” [Jose] Theodore said, referring to five-time scoring champion Jaromir Jagr, Plekanec’s Olympic teammate with the Czech Republic. “Oh, Plekanec, okay. I thought you meant Jagr.” (from the Washington Post)
Journalism professors discourage you from using “quote leads” but being that I’m writing this in my underwear, I think that I’ve broken most of the rules anyway.
Tomas Plekanec lives by one rule, it seems, though: “If you’re going to talk the talk, walk the walk.” The soon-to-be-unrestricted free agent put his money where his mouth is, scoring a beautiful overtime game winning goal thanks in part to some loose defense by the Washington Capitals. You may remember that Plekanec talked some trash about Jose Theodore (at least in relation to Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak), so I obviously said that the player better produce. And, obviously, he did … big time.
As much credit as Plekanec deserves, the gold star belongs to the goalie he pumped up, Halak. The restricted-free-agent-to-be took his first steps toward a huge payday by making 45 saves to help Montreal upset Washington 3-2 in overtime.
People are going to slam the Capitals for the loss, but it’s only one game and the Habs really put together a scrappy effort. Sure, Mike Green had some low moments, but he also blocked 8 shots. Obviously going down 1-0 isn’t good, but Capitals fans can be heartened by the fact that their supporting cast nearly won them the game despite the fact that the team’s stars struggled. For instance: both Eric Fehr and Mike Knuble put up 7 shots and role players came up with plenty of chances.
So, yes, the Capitals can do better, but it’s not all bad news. Again, it’s just one game. One very surprising game, but still, it’s just 1-0.
More on Alex Ovechkin and the Canadiens-Capitals series tomorrow …
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 9
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 11
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 68
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 7
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 49
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (84)