Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
A few moments ago, I discussed the 12 players that Team USA named for the upcoming 2010 IIHF World Championships. Not to be outdone, Team Canada TSN’s Darren Dreger discussed the roster Mark Messier put together, with names including Rocket Richard Trophy co-winner Steven Stamkos.
Apparently the team “has as many as 15 confirmed players.” Dreger lists Stamkos, John Tavares, Junior World Championships standout Jordan Eberle and these other forwards as likely team members.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Calgary’s Rene Bourque have also committed to playing, as has veteran forward Ray Whitney, providing some veteran presence up front.
Other names to look for include James Neal and Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie and Atlanta’s Rich Peverley.
Team Canada’s defense will include Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Brent Burns and Mark Giordano. Here’s the rest of the roster, according to Dreger.
St Louis Blues goaltender Chris Mason is the only goalie on the Canadian roster at this point. However, another two goaltenders, two defencemen and three or four forwards are expected to be added at the conclusion of round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5