Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
A few moments ago, I discussed the 12 players that Team USA named for the upcoming 2010 IIHF World Championships. Not to be outdone, Team Canada TSN’s Darren Dreger discussed the roster Mark Messier put together, with names including Rocket Richard Trophy co-winner Steven Stamkos.
Apparently the team “has as many as 15 confirmed players.” Dreger lists Stamkos, John Tavares, Junior World Championships standout Jordan Eberle and these other forwards as likely team members.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Calgary’s Rene Bourque have also committed to playing, as has veteran forward Ray Whitney, providing some veteran presence up front.
Other names to look for include James Neal and Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie and Atlanta’s Rich Peverley.
Team Canada’s defense will include Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Brent Burns and Mark Giordano. Here’s the rest of the roster, according to Dreger.
St Louis Blues goaltender Chris Mason is the only goalie on the Canadian roster at this point. However, another two goaltenders, two defencemen and three or four forwards are expected to be added at the conclusion of round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 22
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 18
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 46
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PBT: Spurs rally to beat Grizzlies in OT, take 3-0 lead
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic