Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
A few moments ago, I discussed the 12 players that Team USA named for the upcoming 2010 IIHF World Championships. Not to be outdone, Team Canada TSN’s Darren Dreger discussed the roster Mark Messier put together, with names including Rocket Richard Trophy co-winner Steven Stamkos.
Apparently the team “has as many as 15 confirmed players.” Dreger lists Stamkos, John Tavares, Junior World Championships standout Jordan Eberle and these other forwards as likely team members.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Calgary’s Rene Bourque have also committed to playing, as has veteran forward Ray Whitney, providing some veteran presence up front.
Other names to look for include James Neal and Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie and Atlanta’s Rich Peverley.
Team Canada’s defense will include Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Brent Burns and Mark Giordano. Here’s the rest of the roster, according to Dreger.
St Louis Blues goaltender Chris Mason is the only goalie on the Canadian roster at this point. However, another two goaltenders, two defencemen and three or four forwards are expected to be added at the conclusion of round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 23
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 37
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 98
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 11
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 21
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 37
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)