Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
A few moments ago, I discussed the 12 players that Team USA named for the upcoming 2010 IIHF World Championships. Not to be outdone, Team Canada TSN’s Darren Dreger discussed the roster Mark Messier put together, with names including Rocket Richard Trophy co-winner Steven Stamkos.
Apparently the team “has as many as 15 confirmed players.” Dreger lists Stamkos, John Tavares, Junior World Championships standout Jordan Eberle and these other forwards as likely team members.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Calgary’s Rene Bourque have also committed to playing, as has veteran forward Ray Whitney, providing some veteran presence up front.
Other names to look for include James Neal and Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie and Atlanta’s Rich Peverley.
Team Canada’s defense will include Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Brent Burns and Mark Giordano. Here’s the rest of the roster, according to Dreger.
St Louis Blues goaltender Chris Mason is the only goalie on the Canadian roster at this point. However, another two goaltenders, two defencemen and three or four forwards are expected to be added at the conclusion of round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)