Apr 15, 2010, 5:50 PM EDT
A few moments ago, I discussed the 12 players that Team USA named for the upcoming 2010 IIHF World Championships. Not to be outdone, Team Canada TSN’s Darren Dreger discussed the roster Mark Messier put together, with names including Rocket Richard Trophy co-winner Steven Stamkos.
Apparently the team “has as many as 15 confirmed players.” Dreger lists Stamkos, John Tavares, Junior World Championships standout Jordan Eberle and these other forwards as likely team members.
Anaheim’s Corey Perry and Calgary’s Rene Bourque have also committed to playing, as has veteran forward Ray Whitney, providing some veteran presence up front.
Other names to look for include James Neal and Steve Ott of the Dallas Stars, Tampa Bay’s Steve Downie and Atlanta’s Rich Peverley.
Team Canada’s defense will include Francois Beauchemin, Marc Staal, Brent Burns and Mark Giordano. Here’s the rest of the roster, according to Dreger.
St Louis Blues goaltender Chris Mason is the only goalie on the Canadian roster at this point. However, another two goaltenders, two defencemen and three or four forwards are expected to be added at the conclusion of round one of the Stanley Cup playoffs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)